• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

insulating sled style portable? what works the best?

slick2526

I'm one of the guys who have used the moving blankets.

Pro's -

- excellent insulation value, I have been in -20 degrees and it's worked great, no - frost or condensation at all on the walls

- cheap

- can be made without ever having to modify current canvas as it slips in between the poles and the out factory canvas, so when you sell the shack later, you can just take it without having harmed the original canvas

- brightens up the walls compared to the green canvas I normally would see

Con's

- mine doesn't cover the door (as I didn't want to sew anything to the existing canvas), so I have frost there.

- bulky, putting it up and taking it down take a little more time with the added material as it sticks out everywhere and makes things tighter on the poles

- takes over a day to cut and sew together

- can soak up water, but I keep mine off the water and slush

I bought some fabric at fabric store in Brooklyn Park. It is nylon with poly inside.

I used 3m 77 adhesive and mounted it spraying both surfaces and did this with tent off the sled. It worked well but 2 things it has spots that are wrinkled and tent is a bit too tight making poles more difficult to expand.

I would highly recommend doing this on a clam that is square because it will be much easier to cut to fit.

I had already used movers blankets on my previous tent but they seemed really heavy.

I've also used reflectix and that works well for top and back but doesn't fold on sides.

Overall I'd say if you can afford to pay 300 for an insulated tent do it but I did mine for 100 in materials and a days worth of work.

My setup is an otter wild cabin I bought used online and found a t600 tent at otter garage sale.