• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

insulating sled style portable? what works the best?

slick2526

Buying a used clam sled style house soon. I want to insulate and Im thinking about going with reflectix insulation and high quality sticky back velcro for at least the top, front, and back of the house. Not sure how well this would work on the sides since you have to tuck the fabric in between the poles.

I have a also seen a house that had moving blankets sewn into the the top and back and then had straps made to hang them down the side. It seems to work well for him but I am not sure how much I like that idea.

So what works the best and what has been used successfully insulating portables? Am I going to have a condensation issue using the reflectix?

I would honestly look for a used lower end Otter/frabill/clam flipover that already has the insulated roof sewn in. Yes, it will be more money, but it will save you the time/money/hassle/durability issues you'll have going with the reflectix route. I've never seen an installation of that stuff that looks like it will hold up...

Reflectex will work just fine. The only down side is folding up your shack when done fishing. I put it in 2 shacks fairly easy. Measure across the inside of your shack from seam to seam of the top. Then measure from the back of the top to the spreader pole above the door. After cutting the Reflectex to fit mark where the Velcro that holds the top to the poles is, now put duct tap on both sides of the Reflectex and cut a slit just wide enough to pull the Velcro through the slit. With your shack set up undo the velcro and run the Reflectex behind the spreader poles. Pull the Velcro through the slits and back around the poles. That will hold it in place if you have a rear access door or window you will have to fiqure that out for your self. You can leave the Reflectex a little long in the back and tuck it between the top and the sled or just run it down into the sled and run a couple of small bolts with washers to secure it. It's really hard to do the front or sides. Good luck

Joe and outlaw,

Im not interested in buying another portable. This one is only two years old I am buying from my friend and I am getting way to good of a deal on it to pass it up. If I didnt get the price I am buying this house for I would totally agree on looking for a used or new insulated set up.

Reflectex will work just fine. The only down side is folding up your shack when done fishing. I put it in 2 shacks fairly easy. Measure across the inside of your shack from seam to seam of the top. Then measure from the back of the top to the spreader pole above the door. After cutting the Reflectex to fit mark where the Velcro that holds the top to the poles is, now put duct tap on both sides of the Reflectex and cut a slit just wide enough to pull the Velcro through the slit. With your shack set up undo the velcro and run the Reflectex behind the spreader poles. Pull the Velcro through the slits and back around the poles. That will hold it in place if you have a rear access door or window you will have to fiqure that out for your self. You can leave the Reflectex a little long in the back and tuck it between the top and the sled or just run it down into the sled and run a couple of small bolts with washers to secure it. It's really hard to do the front or sides. Good luck

I think I understand what you mean by making cuts for the velcro straps to go through the reflectex. Do you have any pics of your house? Found one video on youtube but that was with a portable shack with a floor.

Another vote for reflectix. I used the foil tape they sell with it and is holding well for 3 years. Make sure you cut a slot in the back for the window its a lot darker in the daytime, but very easy to light up at night.

what exactly did you use the foil tape for? securing the reflectix to the house? Im not quite sure what you mean.

For most houses a roll of reflectix isnt wide enough to cover the entire top. Use the foil tape to mate to pieces together. I have used reflectix as has my buddy. Works great. No issues folding up the house either.

Just cut a slit through the reflectix where the velcro straps for the canvas are and slide through to attach to the poles. It doesnt slide around. As others have said it does help in lighting it up as well at night.

I used the reflectix on a portable and used zip ties at the top by the poles. This stuff really helped hold the heat in and the house was much brighter with the stuff on the ceiling.

It is a bit bulky but it works and serves the purpose.

Not that spendy to do.

Take your time and measure very well or a tad larger so you do not short yourself. You can always trim a small amount off, you cannot add.

if you really take your time, this job can end up looking very nice.

you use the foil tape to piece together the reflectix to fit your shack roof. Depending on the size of the roll you buy, you might need to add width.

I've had reflectix in my clam 2 man going on 3 or 4 years now. The only issue I had with it was due to the size I bought, I had a seam where two pieces of reflectix met about half way between two of the roof bars, which means that the reflectix always folds right at that seam, and over time, it weakens the foil tape. no big deal, I just give it a new layer of tape and it's usually good for the season. the only fastening required is the slots for the velcro, and the reflectix sits between the tarp and the poles. I went from using 3 light strips to only needing one. I have enough left over from the roll I bought that I can put some in my new 1 man flip over and still have enough to patch or replace either shack's install.

I have the reflectix on the top and back of mine. Just like stated above. I made slits for the velcro pole staps and then reinfoced those slits with duct tape. No need to adhere the reflectix directly to the house. It runs down the back and is tucked into the back of the house between the sled. The back window is covered. It has been well worth it.

I seen you can get it 48" wide but that still wouldnt be enough of the width of the fabric of this house. each pole has three velcro strips holding the poles. the ends before the bends and one in the middle. are you guys starting from the outside edges butting up the two peices of reflectix in the middle of the house or are you over lapping them at all? I would think over lapping the middle some would be the way to go.That way you could cut a full hole through the material for the velcro instead of notching out the edge and have more material to hold in place

I bought this thermal top from Clam about 3 years ago. Easy to install and not expensive. You could call around to a few fabric stores to find thermal material to make one yourself easy enough. full-44005-50399-image.jpg

full-44005-50400-image.jpg

It is just held on by being between the poles and the Velcro from the outer fabric. This year I'd like to add some to the back, because I always try to put the back into the wind.

I bought this thermal top from Clam about 3 years ago. Easy to install and not expensive. You could call around to a few fabric stores to find thermal material to make one yourself easy enough. full-44005-50399-image.jpg

full-44005-50400-image.jpg

It is just held on by being between the poles and the Velcro from the outer fabric. This year I'd like to add some to the back, because I always try to put the back into the wind.

My friend is going to go with moving blankets and have them sewn in. I am going to see how I like his after this year. the Reflectix is cheap enough route for now and Maybe i will come up with some else or a new house all together if it doesnt hold up after a few years.

Dave,

I never actually had the chance to lift my buddies otter lodge that has them in it. all he did was the top and back wall. His is a older model with only one door at the front. He also built a hard top on his sled with 2x2s and separate storage compartements. Obviously when he built this he did it for maximum comfort with out really worrying about the weight. I really have no idea how much weight to moving blankets add alone without all the extra gear. It was set up for a winch and ramps to load onto the back of a trailer or the back of your truck. At the same time I hope my use of imsult

I dont think you would ever be able to pull it by hand through any amount of snow for a extended period of time. I guess everyone has there own idea on what the want out of a portable. I picture mine after being done with it as semi permanent house that if i really wanted to I would have the necessities to stay out over night due to weather, or great fishing.

After how cold it was last winter, and fishing out of the house multiple times im buying in -20 below weather without the windchill I wont blink an eye at any extra insulation weight im going to add. Saying that at the same time honestly Im disappointed in my striker ice suit I purchased for the price I paid for it. I assumed paying 500.00 for a full blown ice suit that it would keep you much more comfortable sitting still and not still needing body heat from movement for the insulating factors to work the best. I was hoping this suit would of totally done away with my idea of needing a insulated fish house.

I did the refletrix thing about 5-6 years ago and did as others stated...took two pieces the length of the roof and connected them using the foil tape. Then installed between poles and ceiling and then found where the straps are and cut and pulled through. This has kept the house warm without condensation dripping on your head and it helps light the house. It folds up with the house like it was put there from the manufacture! To me this is a no brainer!! I wouldn't use the blankets as they will hold smells and moisture and I would think after a season or two it would be horrible smelling. I have used my house in all conditions and it does it's job...

What suit did you go with? I bought their striker climate suit and couldn't be happier with how warm it is! In fact I used it in the muzzyseason last year it was so cold out and it kept me nice and toasty for long sits.

I did the refletrix thing about 5-6 years ago and did as others stated...took two pieces the length of the roof and connected them using the foil tape. Then installed between poles and ceiling and then found where the straps are and cut and pulled through. This has kept the house warm without condensation dripping on your head and it helps light the house. It folds up with the house like it was put there from the manufacture! To me this is a no brainer!! I wouldn't use the blankets as they will hold smells and moisture and I would think after a season or two it would be horrible smelling. I have used my house in all conditions and it does it's job...

What suit did you go with? I bought their striker climate suit and couldn't be happier with how warm it is! In fact I used it in the muzzyseason last year it was so cold out and it kept me nice and toasty for long sits.

Thats the suit I bought also. I think the ratings they have are pretty far off on how its suppose to keep you comfortable at below zero temps. to me I didnt see any great improvement of a pair of carhart bibs and jacket.