• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How can I improve casting distance with balsa/wood lures?

PakAttack86

I love the look and the feel and the swimming ability of balsa shad raps, but I really can't seem to get any semblance of casting distance with even my lighter 6 pound test line. Are these lures mainly for boat use and trolling? I primarily shore fish so casting ability is a huge need for me.

I end up using the hard plastic and glass variations instead because of casting distance, but they still don't seem to beat the aggressive swimming nature that the balsa ones produce. I'm thinking of adding a splitshot to the nose of the bait where my line is, but I fear that may ruin the swimming motion. Thanks for suggestions.

With shad raps and such spinning rod is a must, longer the better and lightest power that you feel comfortable with. Leave 3-4 feet of line between the lure and rod tip which will allow the rod to load up better. Line choice will also play a significant role, mono vs flouro vs braid vs copolymer all come off the spool differently. If using any of those other than braid I also use KVD line conditioner.

Generally speaking for my bass/walleye fishing I use a 7 foot medium action rod and I've got a pretty decent reel spooled with about 200 yards of 6 pound mono. Without any wind to help I can barely cast a balsa lure more than 25 feet if I'm lucky. With a plastic/glass lure or jig I can sail it clear across the river banks (not that I'd want to!)

YOu need to match the rod to the weight of the lure and go to as long of a rod as you can. Read the label on the rod for the recommended lure weights. I bet your balsa lure are lighter than those listed and it will never cast them as you can't load the rod for a proper cast. First find a rod made for casting those light lures.

Mwal