• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wyoming Elk Hunt

Scoot

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWESOME! Congrats to all of you on great action, trophies, and a great story. Scoot, I have never hunted elk, so when you saw that giant 6x6, yours looks really nice, but looking for a comparison. Is that one of your biggest you have shot?

That story makes it that much more appealing to try it. Congrats to you all!

Congrats to all of you!!!

Absolutely great effort and even sweeter that the effort pays big dividends in a freezer full of great meat and horns to boot! Many here probably don't realize it but to go 3 for 3 on bulls on public land with a bow is an amazing feat!!! Also says great things about your skill level and dedication.

Having been out west chasing elk several times in the last 8 years I can count on one hand the number encounters that even come close to what you guys had going on almost everyday! Makes me think I need to find a new area or learn what I am doing wrong!

You guys ever think about offering some seminars in this area on how you got to where you are? Obviously you have to be in elk to make this happen but it is still only a small piece of the puzzle!

Great job again and I can honestly say I am more than a little envious to find that special spot that can make it all happen, but more importantly I am fired up to go next year as I skipped a trip this year. You and No wiser are both very inspiring!!

Is that one of your biggest you have shot?

Yes, that's my biggest bull (so far!) I didn't put a tape to him, but he's probably just short of 300". He's got really nice fronts, solid 3rds, very nice swords, but his tops (5th and 6th points) are weak. This matters for his overall score, but not one bit more as far as I'm concerned- I was/am thrilled to get a crack at him and to make good on the opportunity!

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing Scoot. I have always wanted to go on a casual elk hunt, but between your stories and NoWiser's, it makes a guy want to jump in with both feet.

I am curious about hunting pressure. You seemed to be in great area, but I never hear talk about other hunters. There is no doubt you know what you guys are doing. Is it just super limited in tags or are you guys on to something?

You guys ever think about offering some seminars in this area on how you got to where you are? Obviously you have to be in elk to make this happen but it is still only a small piece of the puzzle!

Seminars? Heck no! I attend seminars, not put them on!!! We've learned a ton about elk and elk hunting in the past eight years, but there are guys who hunted elk more by the age of 20 than I have in my entire life. I may know a good bit for the average flatlander, but in the big picture, I'm still a greenhorn. I've read just about every book written on the topic and constantly read any elk-related post on all of the archery forums. Spending time on the mountain has helped me tease apart fact from fiction with all of that info. But... all of that info is available to anyone who wants to take the time to learn it. It'll take a ton of reading, watching, and learning, but it's there for the taking.

Being in an area where the numbers are good and the amount of pressure is reduced (limited draw area) is HUGE! Pressured elk behave differently from unpressured elk. Plus, hunting in a place that offers multiple opportunities each day helps with the learning curve in a huge way. We got at least five years worth of OTC experience in our first year in WY. That's a big deal and we learned a ton from it.

I really think a lot of guys don't appreciate the fact that it's one dang tough shoot an elk in an OTC unit in ID or CO or in a general unit in MT. I strongly encourage people to hunt these places (it's a whole lot better than not hunting for sure), but know that buying points and hunting in a place with fewer hunters puts you in a much better spot to punch your tag. Not only are there fewer hunters to compete with, but more importantly the elk behave differently and are much more huntable.

Coach, see my reply above. We definitely bump into other hunters, but I rarely mention it in my posts. It's not usually too relevant to the story, so I skip those details. However, this is a limited draw area and that is a big deal with regard to likelihood of punching a tag. But... there are tons of elk in OTC and general units too, so it's not like one can't get it done there too. We went 2/3 in MT the first year we ever hunted there, so it can be done!

Awesome bull, congrats to you guys for punching your tags. Just curious how many points did you have to get drawn in that area and was it you first choice. I will have 3 or 4 in wyoming the next time I think I can go but don't want to burn them unless confident in that area. You guys have a great spot. What do you think the bull to cow ratio was?

By the way, what camera did you use on your trip? I think I need something better than a cell phone next time.

Thanks for sharing again

I am with you on the reading and following the forums. It helps a lot. I think our major obstruction so far is the OTC units and the pressure they get. The area we go now we have been at 5 or 6 times and finding the hot spots seems to be done. We just have lots of pressure from other hunters and it doesn't take long to mess it up, not to mention our strategy in finding this spot was the harder it is to get there the better off we will be....that however is easier said then done!

We have one nasty canyon that seems to hold several good bulls all at the same time and then other spots where you will likely find the younger, less educated bulls.

From the sounds of it we need to experience the draw units! We have a fair number collected for Colorado and may have to look into other states as well now. Hoping to be able to put the father-in-law that started this hunting group into a similar scenario that you and no wiser had before he is unable to hump the mountains anymore. It would be the trip of a lifetime for all of us!

Thanks for the inspiration and helpful tips! smile

That is just sweet. The odds of everyone tagging out on all 3 of your Wyoming hunts boggles my mind. You guys have a great spot, no doubt, but you obviously hunt hard and know what you are doing to get it done like that. Congrats, and I'm insanely jealous!

What is your bow/arrow/broadhead setup that you used on this hunt? Is it different than what you use for deer hunting back home?