• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ghosts of the Farm

My Wife's Grandparents lived in an old farmhouse for years outside of Waseca. By the time her Grandpa passed away, the house was very much in disrepair and her Grandma has since moved into town. The local fire dept. used the abandoned house as a practice burn. Her Grandpa did what all the old farmers did; when a vehicle or tractor just couldn't be fixed anymore, it got towed to the grove in the back 40 and nature slowly took its course. While a lot has since been scrapped, a few still remain. My wife and I decided to take the our soon-to-be 4 year old and 6-1/2 year old out there for some fall pictures. While we're barely amateurs at photography, we do have a decent DSLR-which helps a lot smile. Also, I am an ex-graphic designer, so I slightly adjusted the levels some of these to add some warmth. But nature has turned these forgotten rust buckets into her own works of art and most needed very little retouching. I was very pleased with the results, I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed taking them.

An old Ford F-100

DSC_1008_zps7c3235ee.jpg

DSC_1009_zpsa812c2a9.jpg

The old emblem still shined through the corrosion, moss and lichens

DSC_0002_zpsdc267e45.jpg

In the next grove, a Chevy 6100 farm truck rests in peace, trees starting to consume its bumper

DSC_0035_zps1830bf6a.jpg

DSC_0037_zps268cada2.jpg

DSC_0043_zpsdf828d18.jpg

I opened the door for the first time in probably 40 years, kind of spooky...

DSC_0040_zps927cc929.jpg

The old Oliver...

DSC_0058_zps3ab57e77.jpg

Definitely upped the saturation on this one a bit to get a warm rusty feel, but the fading light played into it well

DSC_0056_zps97be03c9.jpg

The old tractor made a great backdrop for my boys - 6-1/2 year old Mitchell

DSC_0764_zpsd7ebc487.jpg

And Luke who will be 4 in two weeks (definitely the ham of the two)

DSC_0751_zpse93e933b.jpg

Two good kids having fun and learning a little history, too!

DSC_0706_zpse9bc75e1.jpg

not only are those great photos but every time I see things like that I can't help but envision life on the farm back when those things were "laid to rest." I've spent quit a bit of time rooster hunting in So Dak around abandoned equipment and they can be real honey holes but every time I just wish I could transport back in time to see what life was like for the farm family living there. Great stuff.