• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catch cover project

waligators

Took about 15 minutes and now I'm hoping for a warmer house when I have these covers on the holes that aren't being used. My floor is already insulated with 1.5" DOW board, so eliminating these cold spots should be great! Also kinda curious to see if it helps from the holes freezing up as fast when there on. full-8336-49794-image.jpg

Didn't rough them up at all, the foam is extremely sticky and bonded great! Just wiped the dust off and sprayed it on. I let it cure for a few hours in the sun before I put them back in the house. 2 cans was perfect for 6 covers

Am I missing something here...what does it matter if the covers frost up a bit!? When you are fishing, aren't the covers off / stored away? If they get frosty while travelling to / from the lake...what's the problem?

Not being a smart-arse...literally curious! smile

I was told by the guys at the Lodge Ice Houses that insulating the floors of wheelhouses is not the best idea as the ice under them tends to melt more rapidly causing the entire house to freeze down more quickly. The ice can't 'breathe' as well as when non-insulated house sits on it. Something to so with heat radiating off the siding etc. Plus, legally you are supposed to remove ANY insulation that may freeze to the ice when you leave, which I can't see many guys taking the time to do.

My house has 6 holes but more often all 6 holes will not be in use. Those not in use will have the hole covers in place and having them insulated will help keep some of the cold from coming in.

I am new to wheel houses but IMO the statement regarding non-insulated floors is ridiculous. As you heat your house the floor insulation is going to help keep that heat from melting the ice below. I would think it works both ways, the insulation keeps the cold from the ice from coming up through the floor and the heat from inside going down through the floor. Maybe this will prove to be completely wrong once I use my house this winter but my floor is spray-foamed.

Eagle is right. A spray foamed house melts the snow and ice very little compared to non foamed. I had my house sprayed after using it a year of using it and the difference is huge. If you don't bank your house the ice will stay just as frozen after 3 days as it was when you got there.

I have never seen spray foam stuck to the ice....sounds like a slick salesman story.

We have our covers sprayed also it seems to keep the shack warmer then without.

I was told by the guys at the Lodge Ice Houses that insulating the floors of wheelhouses is not the best idea as the ice under them tends to melt more rapidly causing the entire house to freeze down more quickly. The ice can't 'breathe' as well as when non-insulated house sits on it. Something to so with heat radiating off the siding etc. Plus, legally you are supposed to remove ANY insulation that may freeze to the ice when you leave, which I can't see many guys taking the time to do.

That's hilariously wrong. With pretty much any type of floor insulation (spray or board foam), you can set the house down on snow or bare ice, and after a weekend, have zero melt underneath the house (aside from right by the holes). Take that same house without an insulated floor, and there'll be a giant puddle underneath it. I've seen it many times. That house with the giant puddle underneath is gonna be the same guy who comes and posts on here after a -30 cold snap, asking if he can shoot holes in the floor of his house with his 30-06 to pop it loose.

The insulated covers are nice to keep the frost and condensation from getting the floor/carpet wet. I like to keep whatever holes I'm not using closed up to cut down on any drafts coming up through them, as well as to keep my beer extra cold underneath.

Closed cell spray foam shouldn't freeze down to the ice. Open cell may, I'm not 100% sure on that.

Hawg, you may want to re-read his post as to who said what. Not defending Ice Castle but i think they get plenty of blame the way it is. I know everyone automatically assumes every wheel house problem is with an ice castle brand house.