• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's Chili Time! - Red Chili

I think I've thrown this up here before, but here's my Red Chili recipe:

Red Chilli

3 pounds meat in 1-2" cubes, can use ground too

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 medium onions, diced

5 garlic cloves, chopped

1 bottle flavorful beer (Summit is good for this)

3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped

1/2 cup Ancho Chili Powder, recipe follows

1 (28-ounce) can diced/crushed tomatoes

2 TBSP tomato paste

1 can kidney beans, drained

1 can black beans, drained

1 can chicken stock

2 TBSP cornmeal

1 TBSP dark chocolate

1 TBSP Lime Juice

1 TBSP Honey

Ancho Chili Powder

3 ancho chiles, seeded and hand-torn into pieces

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons whole coriander (grind it)

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon sweet paprika

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon sugar

First the powder:

Remove seeds and cored from the anchos before tearing them into ~1" pieces. Take those (along with any whole spices you choose to use) and toast them in a dry skillit over med-low heat until you can really start smelling them. Once toasted, take it all and grind it up (I use a coffee grinder in batches). This is far better than the stuff you buy in the little bottles.

Now for the Chili:

Brown the meat in a little olive oil with S&P, then pull it out and put it on a plate. Add the onions&garlic and a little more olive oil and sweat them until translucent. Add the chili powder and stir for 2 minutes. Add the beer and stir to get all of the bits of the bottom. Once it's reduced by ~1/2, add your meat, chipotles, tomatoes, paste, beans and a can of chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the cornmeal, lime huice, honey and chocolate.

This has won a couple friendly competitions for me and gets made several times per fall/winter.

Here's a pic of a double batch. Enjoy! smile

full-28076-49751-redchili.jpg

You know, I did try that once as a test. I just took a little PB and put it into a bowl of chili just to get an idea of what the flavors would do with each other. Basically, the PB overpowered everything, so I dropped the idea.

Then, I saw it come up in a couple recipes while looking for ideas for a different chili. Maybe I shouldn't have given up so quick! blush I'll have to give it a legit shot one of these times.

have you tried peanut butter in place of the chocolate? I will make red sauce for enchiladas and will change it up a bit. both take the bitterness out of the chile

Guys, really chocolate and peanut butter in Chili!! Not in my camp! Eeeuu.

sick

Guys, really chocolate and peanut butter in Chili!! Not in my camp! Eeeuu.

sick

While I knw chili s not Mexican, traditional mole' sauce as dark chocolate in it too. It doe not taste like you poured Hershey's syrup in it. The drk chocolate adds a rich level to the heat.

I say do em both at the same time! Throw a couple Reese's peanut butter cups in a pot! laugh

Good Luck!

Ken