• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

doe permit

WHAT A JOKE! 6 people in our group area 156 not 1 doe permit! 3 years ago was intensive harvest....how do you go from that to this! Deer hunting is going to be like fishing Mille lacs lol. I don't get it how will taking so many bucks do much but make sure we have few nice bucks, my group won't take anything under 8+pts but many guys will in the area take anything legal and that doesn't help. Maybe I just don't get it.

0-2 so far for our group in 156

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that too, it's just bad system. It's funny I have several buddies that are from other states and all of them can't believe our regs that are in place. I hear about other states and man its not nearly as hunter friendly here I don't get it. Better hunting there and more options oportunities to take game.

Heres what i dont like about the system. Everyone who buys a license before the deadline gets put in the drawing. Im sure there are guys that buy their license that are buck hunting only that could care less about a doe permit. they are gold this yr.

1) If they aren't interested in a doe permit then why would they rush to buy a license? Most folks like to put off making purchases and keep that cash in their pockets as long as possible. If the license is bought after September 4th then no lottery entered.

2) The DNR figures those people into the allotted number of doe permits. The DNR knows that not 100% of the permits will get filled, so they give out more than the number of does they want killed.

3) There really should be a way to opt out of the doe lottery if a person doesn't want to enter it. Also should be a way to just get a preference point if that is all the hunter wants, much like bear hunters have area 99 if they just want a preference point.

I am kinda surprised at the fact, some are suprised they didn't get a doe permit.

Heck a good number of area ONLY HAVE 500 PERMITS to be divided between 3000 + hunters. Odds are not good guys, enjoy the season and anticipate the better seasons to come.

My area only had 100 doe tags available. Wish it would have been bucks only.we went 0-12 on draws. We were basically applying to save a doe because we likely weren't going to shoot one

I'm pleased with the conservative numbers of doe tags. We lost a lot of deer last winter. It was sad how many we found still laying in a bedded position on our property in 183 and hadn't even been chewed on. Across the state border while we fished the Brule opener we found lots of dead deer there too that hadn't even been chewed on. Can't really blame dnr for that.

Lets just hope for a decent winter. The deer will come back quick if mother nature cooperates.

Most guys don't look at qty given, and I'm not surprised I didn't get one but 0 out 6 guys I am. Like said in my original post 3 years ago it was intensive harvest for 5 years or so and in my opinion to go from that to this is not smart or it was missed managed big time in the first place. Perhaps shoulda been management all those years not intensive harvest (who needs 5 deer!) should not be feast or famine like this is my point.

Most guys don't look at qty given, and I'm not surprised I didn't get one but 0 out 6 guys I am. Like said in my original post 3 years ago it was intensive harvest for 5 years or so and in my opinion to go from that to this is not smart or it was missed managed big time in the first place. Perhaps shoulda been management all those years not intensive harvest (who needs 5 deer!) should not be feast or famine like this is my point.

And an absolutely valid point it is.

I wish my area was lottery instead of HC this year, but at least it isn't Managed like it was. How a unit can be under goal for years but remains Managed is beyond me.

Lets just hope for a decent winter. The deer will come back quick if mother nature cooperates.

Yes...and if antlerless permits are allocated at appropriate levels. Until the last two winters they'd been pretty mild, yet the harvest continued to drop year after year. We do need a few "normal" winters...but we also need a DNR who is responsive to year after year of declining harvests.

Its all about preference points.

Also many areas 2 deer was too much in the past.

Heres what i dont like about the system. Everyone who buys a license before the deadline gets put in the drawing. Im sure there are guys that buy their license that are buck hunting only that could care less about a doe permit. they are gold this yr.

You still have to apply for a lottery permit as far as I understand it. Is this different in different parts of the state?

Jay is correct.

I spoke with 2 different DNR people about this on 2 separate occasions, one via email and one in person. Both indicated that the purchase of your license before the lottery deadline automatically enters you into the lottery for the zone you indicate (if applicable). You do not need to opt in however I am unsure if you are able to opt out if you choose.

Its the same whether you buy it in person or use their online purchasing system. When I looked at the online process there was no place to indicate you wanted to be entered into the lottery. That's what prompted me to look into it further and contact the DNR directly and when I got confirmation that it all happens automatically.

Here is the exact response I got from the DNR.

Quote:
When you purchase your license and put in your permit area before the Sept 4th deadline, you are automatically entered in the lottery.

In permit area 156 we were managed for 2012 and 2013 and the harvest dropped about 25%. Definitely part of the reason there are only 300 lottery tags available in what has been a productive area historically. I did not get drawn, I was hoping I would and leave it unfilled.

156 has also been at goal in recent years but the DNR has still been keeping it at higher #s of tags. Guys on public land or small areas of private land with a lot of pressure have felt the affects from what I have heard.

Thanks for info. Wonder if next year be buck only!

It all depends on this coming winter. Both the harshness of the winter and the scheduled goal reassessment. It would take another winter like last years for them to go bucks only. If DPSM goals are increased and we have an average winter I would guess that we would still be lottery next possibly with more tags. Those are my guesses based on conversations with the area wildlife manager, who knows what will actually happen.

We are surprised by the decent fawn recruitment on our land this year with a couple sets of twins and a singles as well. There were also last years fawns that made it through the winter. We have a farm so the ag fields seem to help them through, even though there were a few dead adult does around last spring. Talking to some people a couple miles away things looked worse.

Boy nofishfisherman im not sure about that. My wife bought hers online in order to put in for the doe tag at the last minute. After all her info was entered it specifically asked if she wanted to apply for it at the end. I know because I did it with her.