• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild 2014/2015 Regular Season

bbfenatic

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You had to bring up the almighty dollar. Money is what makes everything fair in this world. The more money you have, the more fair it is to you... :-)

LMAO

The NHL point system has no affect on my $$$, nor yours...just so you understand that much. This point system has been in effect for what 10 yrs now and the decision to make the change was not just a willy nilly decision made over a bottle of scotch in a back room...just so you understand that as well. Bottom line...it is working for the good of the NHL...and let me repeat what Pier stated..."it is the same for all the teams".

Winners get the most points (and should), Teams that work into a Tie get the second most points (and should), and Teams that can't work into a Tie get ZERO points (and should)....that is fair. You actually think the NHL would operate this long with an "unfair" system....not!

And whether we like it or not the SO ends games and decides a Winner.

You had to bring up the almighty dollar. Money is what makes everything fair in this world. The more money you have, the more fair it is to you... :-)

I'm fine blush Just still laughing though. Your above statement brings nothing of value to this "point system" discussion IMO. The NHL is run by a Board of Governors and they decide what is best for the NHL, the owners, the players, and the fans. They don't make "unfair" decisions around the point system. One owner having more money than another has no bearing on the ability to make things unfair...that's not how the Board of Governors in the NHL works.

The shootout is not a "fair" system and was never designed that way. It was designed to end a competition by using something that fans have found to be entertaining and exciting, the penalty shot. It favors the best shooters and the best goalies. It is a gimmick and should not award a team an extra point. However, we seem to be stuck with it so why not go to a 3 point system. That will at least place the value of a regulation or OT win where it should be, above the value of the gimmick.

I guess we are arguing the word fair. Fair to whom, the players, the owners, the fans? I am not saying the SO is not gimmicky but it has no affect on the standings as every team plays under these same set of rules so it is fair from that standpoint. The argument on the point system made at the time of the change was to tighten the playoff races and they feel they have accomplished that. As for the SO they did not like the long drawn out multiple OT games for various reasons, thus the move to 4 on 4 shortened time and more open ice better chance of scoring type they adopted to coincide with the SO after that one OT period.

I agree it was not part of traditional hockey but there have been other changes to the game as well...and my guess is there will be more.

My hopes are that the SO never enters the playoffs...but that has been discussed. The main problem for playoff games that go 2+ extra periods is how it affects TV programming of all things (yes those darn TV people that pay money to have rights to televise games so we can watch them, darn capitalists), plus player fatigue....but for now my understanding is that traditionalists are winning that battle and we will not see that...for a while anyways.

Its the same rule for every team when applied.

Its not fair IMO for any team to be in a fight for the last playoff spot and they lose 3 points to the the 2 teams they are battling for even though the 2 teams played each other...LOL

In a nutshell every game should have the same amount of points available to make it FAIR-ER!

Vaneks out!

I guess we are arguing the word fair. Fair to whom, the players, the owners, the fans? I am not saying the SO is not gimmicky but it has no affect on the standings as every team plays under these same set of rules so it is fair from that standpoint. The argument on the point system made at the time of the change was to tighten the playoff races and they feel they have accomplished that. As for the SO they did not like the long drawn out multiple OT games for various reasons, thus the move to 4 on 4 shortened time and more open ice better chance of scoring type they adopted to coincide with the SO after that one OT period.

I agree it was not part of traditional hockey but there have been other changes to the game as well...and my guess is there will be more.

My hopes are that the SO never enters the playoffs...but that has been discussed. The main problem for playoff games that go 2+ extra periods is how it affects TV programming of all things (yes those darn TV people that pay money to have rights to televise games so we can watch them, darn capitalists), plus player fatigue....but for now my understanding is that traditionalists are winning that battle and we will not see that...for a while anyways.

all this coming from a guy who couldn't comprehend where the "extra" pt came from in OT or a shootout? And I thought I was the Google master?

Dub was awesome tonight! He has been getting lots of love from fans on the road too. Good to see Parise get a goal.
×2 great game all around but this was probably the biggest test for Dubs tonight. No one disappointed. It would be nice if Chicago lost tonight but here comes those phantom 3 pt games again!

Good win tonight, Dubnyk kept us in it during the 2nd. We really need this next two games as well, because 14 out of our last 15 games are against teams that are all well above .500. It is going to be a great test to see if we can stay in the playoffs.

Dubnyk is incredible to say the least. Pre Dubnyk I said they would not get 18 wins in the 2nd half...since Dubnyk they already have that many with about 15 to go and there is not a team out there we can not handle at this point. Was surprised Kemps did not play last night, tomorrow at home against a big time rival???

I half wonder if the plan isn't to ride Dubs as long as we can and collect some kind of wildcard "cushion" or clinch a spot and then rest him. That or they saw the Carolina back to back as more winnable than say the Blues or the Hawks that we having on the schedule as a 2nd game back to back.

I think Dubs looked a little off tonight. For the first time in a while he didn't seem as quick.

I still think the Wild need to shoot more. They seem to always be looking for the pretty play. Playoff hockey, which I consider them playing now is crash the net and score dirty goals.

Yeah Dubnyk definitely didn't have his best game, but the whole team looked really slow until last last few minutes. It's like they don't play well until they really have to or have their backs against the wall. Last night was a big game for them could have put Colorado out of it and built a bigger gap before the tough end of the schedule. I was kind of disappointed to see them play with so little energy in front of a packed house and big rivalry game. Not to mention we had absolutely dominated this team all year.

Oh well gonna have to beat Devils before the brutal stretch starts.

And I'm going stop going to games since they drop most of em. The avs first 2 goals looked pretty soft to me but the last blast he didn't have a chance. The stats after the game had us listed with having 6 giveaways but it sure seemed like a lot more than that. But everyone is right they sure pass up a lot of shooting opportunities looking for that highlight reel play.

Yep we looks a littl sloppy and slow out there, exept maybe Spurgie who had a little jump after the long rest. Tht will happn with 3 games in 4 nights. Can't win them all but it sure would have been fun to tie up at the end there.

I can see how that Redmond goal was tough. Basically it took a completely random hop halfway to him. That was a seriously flukey goal. I didn't catch the Landeskog goal and the McLeod goal was a deflection. He could have been in better position on the McLeod one.

7 of the next 10 opponents are playoff teams. eek

Devils

Ducks

Blues

Pred

Caps

Blues

Leafs

Islanders

Flames

Kings

Good news is, I'm flying out again on 4/9 so I'll miss at least part of the playoffs. For those who really do think I'm a jinx wink