• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early season spearing

Jdawg sk1

When is the earliest that you will be out on the ice ? What is your minimum thickness for spearing? Is it different than for regular ice fishing?

Growing up in northeast Saskatchewan we never got out onto the ice till there was enough to support our vehicles and our permanent shacks which are basically a living room on the ice. So this year I am planning on getting out early

Thanks

When is the earliest that you will be out on the ice ? What is your minimum thickness for spearing? Is it different than for regular ice fishing?

Growing up in northeast Saskatchewan we never got out onto the ice till there was enough to support our vehicles and our permanent shacks which are basically a living room on the ice. So this year I am planning on getting out early

Thanks

I'll go out as soon as you can walk on the ice. We have had to pull our houses and gear out on sleds by hand at the early gtg a few years. Hopefully we can use the atv's this year but you never know.

4 inches of ice should be a minimum. I won't spear until there is that much and it is fairly consistent. It is easy to walk a few feet and be on a inch and a half when the ice is that thin. So if you are going out early check the thickness every few yards, and make sure you have someone with you, or are prepared to get yourself out of the water if you fall through. Just realize you are taking a risk going out on early ice.

Bowhunt

In my opinion (not to be taken as Gospel truth) 1.5" is plenty as long as you're smart. I wouldn't say 1.5" is safe, but it's doable. Obviouly just with a small portable house. Just have your life jacket on, picks handy, stay tied off & don't go far from your truck & you'll be fine. Not to mention, early ice is the best time to be out there.

But again, that's just my opinion, & us Iron Range boys aren't always known for sound, well-thought-out decisions...

3 inches of ice is doable but not too safe.

8226917855_7400535392_z.jpg

I don't go over 4 feet of water on early ice; so I would not be in over my head if I did go though, but it is not the cold water that is going to get you; it is the hypotherma; when you walk back the 50 yards to your truck and your hands are too cold to open the door and start the truck you are in trouble.

Just be safe no mater what ice you are on; and make sure to obey all posted signs!!!

3064868180_b02ffb6617.jpg

Don't want to sound like anyone's mom but remember your cleats on early ice. Years ago me and my brother in laws dad hiked way out on Woman Lake on about 3" of ice. He slipped and landed on the block and broke his hip. It was not fun getting him off the ice.

6 inches sounds about right for my svelte 330 lbs. I fell through the ice rat trapping in my early 20's. Only to my armpits 300 yards from truck at 10 below zero. I couldn't get keys into ignition with hand had to use mouth then the shaking began. Took an hour to be able to drive. I can't imagine going thru at 52 years old. Deadly to be sure.

Mw

Thanks guys nice to see that I'm not crazy to think about getting out on early ice. Has anyone here ever fallen through?

I've speared on 1.5" before. That was my personal best... Or my personal worst... Depends on how you look at it. That was in my younger/dumber years. I know that 3" is plenty, but I like 4" as a starting point now. When there's at least 8" of ice, that's when I can no longer turn a piece of coal into a diamond when the ice shifts if you catch my drift.

Pre-21 years of age I fell through the ice 4 times, but all were late season (aka, ice fishing in April); never early ice. I don't ice fish much in April anymore either wink