• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy Spread

I am new to waterfowling and this will be my first time ever hunting ducks. I have 1 dozen mallard decoys (6 h 6 d). How would you recommend I set my spread? I have read online that a "J" shaped pattern is common, but I feel like real ducks don't typically float around looking like "J's". Curious what some others would recommend. Thanks!

I typically do two little family groups (almost a small circle) with a space in the middle and the wind at my back. I find the "J" effective for diver hunting. If you are in an area in ringnecks, bluebills, buffelheads etc. you can run a "J" hook, last year I only had a mallard decoys and had plenty of divers decoy into them.

Happy Hunting

Kettle

You could do six and six or five and seven and so forth, I find it more natural than the standard "U" shape. I like to leave a good ten yards between them, especially if you are hunting with another person, I think back in the day I put a few holes in my dads decoys but he never mentioned it or didn't pick up on it, probably the first one. The more you hunt the more you will learn, it is definetally a trial and error type game.

Kettle