• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help on the value of a shotgun

I have a Remington 1100, 12ga, 2-3/4, 3 chokes, 28" vented rib barrel, checkered stock/forend. It's used, but in pretty good condition. The prices I see on the gun sites range from $500ish to close to $1000. I'm trying to work out a trade on a log splitter and need some help.....Thanks

I am going to agree with Gordie on this one, I had one and sold it for 300$ I felt like the buyer got a good deal as well as myself. Unfortunately there are a lot of 1100's out there for sale and unfortunately there is a reason for it. Myself and several friends have had some issues with them in colder weather. I know there are exceptions to the rules, but putting over 1000 rounds through these guns in 30F or temps below they just don't prevail. I apologize if I am being harsh, but if you can get a value of 400$ for it I would take it.

Kettle

Thanks for your opinions, sure would have liked to hear it was worth a little more. In reality, I was thinking about $450ish, but when I saw some of the online prices, I was hoping for more.

You haven't even posted a single picture of the gun. How do you expect to get a solid valuation on an internet forum for a gun with just a brief description not supported by pictures? Even then we are mainly just rubes and can only do so much.

The best option would be for you to take it to a gun dealer,see what they offer, and then try to get a bit more.

What has happened in the gun world is the same thing that happen to cars. Technology has passed the old ones by. The Rem is a fine gun but its old. A picture that shows a gun in awesome condition won't change the fact its old, can't shoot 3" or steel shot, weighs a ton, doesn't have choke tubes and has O-rings.

What has happened in the gun world is the same thing that happen to cars. Technology has passed the old ones by. The Rem is a fine gun but its old. A picture that shows a gun in awesome condition won't change the fact its old, can't shoot 3" or steel shot, weighs a ton, doesn't have choke tubes and has O-rings.

It does have choke tubes and it doesn't take a whole lot to make a 3 inch chamber, but the fact is what you said' its a old shot gun and its value will reflect that.

Remington still makes the 1100, but at a much more inflated price and it carries most all the bells and whistles. The fact that it has a O-ring should have no bearing what so ever as some of the finest gun makers still use them in their autos.

I was at a local gun shop a couple weeks ago. They had plenty of used 1100's for sale. Price range was 300-450. I'm quite sure they didn't give out that much when they took it in on trade.

1100 is a good gun. Time tested and for the most part has a good rep. Heck, a couple weeeks ago I was going to buy one until I checked out what else was on the shelf. Unfortunately, everyone has one and there are newer shotguns out there that are lighter, faster, and run in the 500-700 range brand spankin new. This will keep the value of your used 1100 in check.

The gun prices on most sites are what is wanted buy the buyer and not what they are getting for it.

That gun in the shop would be worth $350-$425 depending in condition and in trade in value most would give $200-$250.

Totally agree Gordy. I have a 1100 and I went to trade it on another gun as I never use it anymore. 2 different gun shops would give me $250 on trade, I kept the gun. Gun was about an 8 out of a 10 for condition.

One shop had one used on the shelf in very nice condition and it was priced at $340.00.

I thought it would be worth a few hundred more since the new ones are priced where they are but, it is an older gun.

One can find a lot of guns with higher prices but if you look at what they have sold for on a few of the larger gun auction sites, they do not the majority of the time get their asking price.