• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sober hunting camp

jdime

I posted in deer hunting forum but I wanted to catch a broader audience.

I am looking to potentially join a deer camp that came to believe in a power greater than ourselves.

Just hoping against hope that might exist out there and that it might need a cook...

And I know joining a camp involves a vetting process...

T

Can't help you. I've always been interested in a deer camp too and hope to eventually get invited to one as I get to know more hunters. Started hunting myself in my 30s and with virtually no family members doing it. But enough about me, why does it need to be a sober camp? If you are sober and the rest of the guys like a few but aren't idiots and/or drunks, I personally can't see any issues. I've known many sober people, had many as relatives, and my belief is it isn't healthy to segregate yourself based on sobriety. Again, not that you want to join a hunting camp of frat boys passed out every night. : O But if a few guys want to and can handle a nip or two after a hunt and before bed each night, shouldn't be a deal breaker to join the camp. I know, I know, some will say I have no idea, I haven't been there but I have several relatives, my grandpa and another close relative who had a severe problem at one time and have dealt with it, are completely sober and are fine at family functions with the rest of the group having an "edger" or two.

Everyone is at a different point of recovery some may be able to handle being around it some may not. It is just what he prefers, It is no different than me saying looking for a deer camp in north east Minnesota, Some may say why does it have to be in north east why not south east. Well I may have my reasons maybe the drive. Some may say well my uncle drives 6 hours for his camp.. well I am not your uncle and I have my reasons for choosing what I choose.

So maybe it isn't a deal breaker to you but it seems like it is for him.

Jdime, I hope you find what you are looking for. I no longer deer hunt due to the camp I was in with my father, he drinks heavily and so do the other hunters. Bedtime was 2am, stands early, beer at lunch break, beer at the truck at the end of the day, bar food and drinks until close. I miss hunting but the pros were less than the cons. For some that sounds like and awesome camp, and that it may be. It just did not fit for me. Best of luck

Kettle

I don't deer hunt anymore, some of it has to do with cost. I focus mainly on duck hunting small sloughs. With a canoe and my 8 year old lab ( who I adopted from a guy on this forum.) I also do some grouse hunting with the dog solo as well. I still enjoy hunting but miss the social part of it at times but I decided that it is best to do it alone at times. I do one duck hunting trip a year with a buddy of mine and we keep it calm.

Kettle