• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how much land do I need to be huntable?

HandGunner

My wifes friend has a cabin up north had asked how much land does it sit on. Might make a trip and the women can hangout while I chase some bushy tails with my 22lr. What are the rules to huntig on land what are the acre requirements? Does it matter about neighbors? Saftey precautions I should take?

I had heard once that you needed at least 40 acres to guarantee that you can hunt it if the neighbors dont like/want hunting in thier area. If they don't care, then it doesn't matter as long as it's enough room for you. Or if it's a smaller acerage that buts up to State/Federal land you're good too. You have to be a certain distance away from neighbors buildings also but I can't remember how many feet (it's in the hunting regs book from DNR). And obviously know where neighbors live, where thier buildings are, where nearby roads/driveway's are, etc so you aren't sending wayward bullets thier way!

I emailed the dnr about this a couple months back, but can't find the email now. If it's your land and there are no livestock, you can hunt anywhere on your property. The only time I think you need permission is if there are livestock within a certain distance, maybe 300 yards?

Email [email protected], they will get right back to you. I'm going to keep looking for that email.

I emailed the dnr about this a couple months back, but can't find the email now. If it's your land and there are no livestock, you can hunt anywhere on your property. The only time I think you need permission is if there are livestock within a certain distance, maybe 300 yards?

Email [email protected], they will get right back to you. I'm going to keep looking for that email.

I believe the regs state within 500 feet of livestock or an inhabited building you need permission.

That's what I thought too, but I was told if it's your land, you don't need permission even if it's an inhabited building. Just the livestock one applied. Guests on your land do require permission both on an occupied building and the livestock scenario.

I still can't find the email.

I just went and checked the regs. It looks like they just changed the rules this year. Both of the sections below have "New" by them.

Quote:
On another person’s private land or a public right-of-way, a person may not

discharge a firearm within 500 feet of a building occupied by humans or

livestock without written permission of the owner, occupant or lessee of the

building.

A person may not discharge a firearm within 500 feet of a corral confining

livestock for the purpose of normal livestock holding or sorting operations

without permission. This does not apply to persons hunting during an

established season on state or local government-owned land that is not road

right-of-way

In the past it was within 500 feet of livestock or inhabited building regardless of whether its your land or another persons land. Interesting that they changed that. Now I suppose you can hunt any amount of land you own as long as discharging a firearm isn't against any sort of city ordinance.

Now we're talking silly. You certainly dont need 40 acres or a mile radius to hunt with a .22. But you do still need to be safe. If you have 1 acre next to someones empty field, you "could be" hunting in a safe manner. I don't think there is any acreage requirement. There was always a distance requirement if I remember correctly, but that may have changed.

I was wondering this same thing. We are currently looking for a house in Ham Lake to Forest Lake and we were wondering how many acres of land do you need to own in order to bow hunt. I was looking at city regs. and I still can't find an answer. If anyone knows anything about Ham Lake or Forest Lake that would be great. Thanks!

their isn't a requirement for how many acres you need to bow hunt. It's more of a practical matter to me when bow hunting. If I shoot a deer with bow will it die in a practical place where I can follow a blood trail and recover the animal without trespassing or having to get permission to find the deer.

When I was younger I had permission from the Scott County Sheriff to hunt an area that was next to a development of houses. It was a pretty good spot but when you could hear and/or partially see kids playing in their backyard while you hunted it took something away from the hunting experience for me.

TP - There isn't any minimum amount of land you need to own to bow hunt on. Forest Lake allows duck hunting on the lake too, so not a lot of regulations - yet. BUT like LL says you need to have a plan for after the shot. You would need permissions to track a deer for example. Even the best placed shot with a bow is hard to guarantee the deer will stay on your 5 acres/10 acres, etc. Then look at the surrounding area, is it a development with many houses or a more rural area with a bunch of hobby farms? Either way it is tough to avoid the PR relations if you have to track a deer to someones back yard. I would focus more on the

"neighborhood" you are in and your relations with those neighbors, then acreage. My $.02

Some cities do have a limit to boy hunting I know in Andover where my friend lives it is 5 acres to bow hunt and and something weird about slug you needed 10 acres and written permission by neighbors or something.. So I would say check the city regs