• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck to SUV for Ice Fishing

vikingmeatwad

Time to replace the 2002 Tundra (4200 lbs with good off-road tires).

Looking at the few years old Expedition EL & Suburbans and each of them are about 1600 lbs more.

If I had good snow tires would an Expedition EL with the extra weight and probably lower clearance be that much worse than the Tundra?

Thanks guys

Is your Tundra 4WD?? I am not sure but I think it is if I remember correctly. If so I don't think you will have a problem with anything 4WD. I've owned Tahoes and currently have a Silverado and the only time they have been stuck is when someone went somewhere they shouldn't have or forgot to shift into 4WD (not me, right!!).

Both 4x4. Losing 1.7" of clearance & 1600 more lbs.

Maybe it won't be so bad but yes I do usually try to drive where I shouldn't. After the ordeal getting the Perm off last year I may have learned a bit but I doubt it.

Maybe I'll just need some chains and a friend with an off roader :-)

I bought my 1/2 ton Silverado because it was the lowest and easiest to get in and out of. I've never had a problem, you'll be fine. It's amazing how some of these trucks with the super high bodies are so close to the same in clearance.

Had a '98 Expedition for many years. It was fantastic in the snow (IMO) but it was truly amazing the difference in mud/snow and ride quality on the Interstate, tires made.

The best tires by far for all of the above were Michelins. Not sure the exact model, but if you go on that rack HSOforum for tires and read the reviews, it won't be tough to figure out.

I've got a 2011 F150 Supercrew now and I think my old Expedition was better x-country on the lake.