• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to bass fishing

jvm1

I'm really getting into bass fishing but have very limited experience.

I've been enjoying catching them with topwaters for a while only and the occasional one on a spinner/lipless crank

What do you guys recommend for fishing with jigs and plastics?

Same with Dropshot or carolina rigs.

I have the gear but never use it due to complete lack of confidence on what to do.

Any good videos I can reference too?

It's hard to fish a wacky-rigged stick bait like a senko or a yum dinger wrong. Cast out to the weedline. Let it sink about 15 seconds. Lift it a foot, let it drop, and repeat. For dropshots, a floating worm or a plastic minnow on a size two wide gap hook is good for finicky fish. Fish those around weedlines and where two different bottoms meet. Cast it out and slowly drag it back in.

Like others have said, a texas rigged ribbon tail worm is a good place to start. I like a 1/4 to 3/8oz bullet sinker depending on the depth and area I am fishing. I like the YUM or Culprit worms, but most any will work.

Another option is to texas rig a senko weightless for covering shallow areas. For jigs I use 3/8oz and 1/2oz versions. Use in the same areas as a trigged worm. I like the North Star Flip and swim with some sort of craw trailer.

Good luck.

jvm1,

If your fishing from a boat I would recommend getting a flipping stick and pitching jigs at docks (my favorite is the 1/2oz outkast RT jig). It's a lot of fun, and I've had lots of success with this technique. It works fairly well on any body of water any time of year (I know there are better techniques at certain times of the year). If your new to a lake it's a great starting place.

Joe