• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Small Bowfin?

11fish1

LOL!

your best bet of course would be to try a seining net in the weeds and shallows right now and you might catch one from this year or last year's hatch (I don't quite know the laws on that, but like I always say, a CO would have to be a real jerk to hassle you about something like a catching roughish fry for an aquarium)

come to think of it, a little bowfin in an aquarium would be cool

I've had everything from sunnies, to bass, to gars and bullheads in a tank, but no doggies

Probably would try crappie minnow or small fathead. Have caught some doggies using that.....never targeting though, and usually larger....crappie fishing, early in the year on in areas that bassfisher mentioned. Most often see smaller ones in lagoons at night while bowfishing carp. They just meander along not spooked by the headlamp....might want to try a dip netting....if legal.

Yeah, I was surprised too, came across it on their facebook page. I didn't see any other MN native fish, not sure if they have some other times of the year. I do know there's an aquarium store in Crystal that has MN fish in the spring time.

As for feeding, the store was feeding them these tiny things called glass worms. I bought some of those and he seems to like them.

if you want to save some dough on buying the little worms all winter, you might try some tiny pieces of a fillet of any fish and see if he mows it down

then when spring comes you can catch a variety of little minnows/critters to keep his capturing instincts alive (and make having him as a pet more fun!)

My tip on predatory fish diets - if you want them to live long healthy lives and grow well, feed them a balanced diet with a variety of items. It sounds like common sense, but with pets it is so easy for people to just feed the same thing every day even if it isn't optimal.

I had a common goldfish live to be 9! Certainly didn't get just goldfish flakes- I was always tossing little bits of bread, corn, peas, bugs, worms, etc. in

rarely fed it every day though- sometimes when I travelled it would go for over a week without food and never seemed worse for the wear

also left it out on the porch too long in the fall a few times and ice formed on the top!

was always careful about letting tap water sit for a few days before adding it in so the chlorine could evaporate out

I was really sad when it finally died

just checking to see how the little bowfin is doing?

I'm switching to fish in my tank this summer and am looking forward to collecting local fish (the new MN fishing regs spell out for the first time how to legally do that- part of the trick is to have kids involved smile )- I've been raising a leopard frog and a newly-hatched snapper my kids caught at Grey's Bay in the summer of '13 in a big terrarium - as planned we're letting both of them go all fat and happy this summer in the same place we found them- the turtle was tough to get to eat at first, but once he got the hang of it, it now grabs carp chunks right out of my fingers- growing up nicely! I make him chase food to keep his instincts up and get him live stuff when available

Try a Number 1 or 2 red and white Mepps Aglia near small dams. I can't guarantee small ones but if Bowfin are in the area thay will let you know. Reel in just fast enough to keep it off the bottom and the spinner blade turning.