• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are your go to decoys?

Jdawg sk1

Like the topic says what are your go to decoys? Size? Shape? And colour ?.

Do you use different decoys different times of the year ?

Do you find that decoys that resemble fish in that ecosystem work better than those that don't (shark) ?

Thanks guys I'm looking to expand my stable beyond the red and white that hawk eye gave me and am looking for a direction to expand

I can only speak for myself and I may go a bit overboard simply because of what I do. But I normally have between 10 and 12 decoys in the house at a given time. Could be more if I have decoys to test. Could be less if I know what works in a given body of water.

I would say that I have 6 that I would consider to be my personal go to decoys.

Most are muted more natural tones, but flashy pinks, yellows, and orange also are in that mix. Size varies from 3"- 10" in a variety of shapes

Some lakes lean bright and flashy, others dull. Always best to have a few in each group. It's like any other type of fishing. Confidence is key. If you aren't confident in the decoy you won't use it, weather it brings in fish or not.

I always have a red and white about 10 inches or so never measured it. I also have a couple Laska Nords in fire tiger and Bengal "orange: I have some shiner size ones in fire tiger. This summer I have been trying to carve a couple and I am thinking of painting one brown like sucker and the other gold or silver. I also always have a spoon spinning or painted golf balls. Somedays they ignore dekes for the spoon somedays its the other way. Last year the spoons out produced by a wide margin. Year before red and white decoy was the king. You just never know.

Mwal

I know I've said it a bunch of times but if the pike are on an old sock would bring them in.

Days they are not on I believe the action of the decoy has more to do with bringing them in then color or size.

I watched and speared just as many fish back when I got started and had only two decoys as I do now with the a whole load of them with me.

Its fun to try different decoys and see what they do and how the fish react. Its really become fun now that I'm getting a fair sized collection of decoys from guys I've speared with and have become friends with.

Decoys just like something I always say to a buddy of mine when were out having a couple cold ones. One more never hurts.