• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
going4it

Tips for live bird training?

Bought a few chuckers and am looking for some ideas on how I can use them to train the pup (4months). He is a lab so any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I would have bought some pigions, much more hardy, can be used more than once, chuckers kinda remind me of a shinner minnow, look at them the wrong way and they die. At 4 monthes i would honestly plant them let the dog find then , chase ect. just get the pup bird crazy, if they catch them and kill them all the better. Plant them and take one wing and put some rubber bands around the flight feathers so they can't fly far, let the pup flush them and then catch them, once you know they like birds stop and get you and the pup involved with a retriever club, invest in a good training program, build a solid base with OB nad look forward to next fall. Where are you located??

I have never had really good success with chukars, they dont seem to fly well and seldom do, they spend most of their time on the ground. A bird launcher will help some but I have had more than few not take flight even coming out of a bird launcher this may not be as big as issue for a flushing dog though?

Thanks Todd. I am in Elk River. I worked with him last night with them and he exceeded expectations. He tracked the bird and then as it tried to fly he grabbed it and brought it right to me. Then I just made him stay and would hide it around the yard and he would have to find it. Nose would be to the ground and he would find it within 10-15 seconds. Awfully impressed and happy right now. Next I will bring it to some cover so that he has to do some searching in longer weeds.

Where can a guy purchase pigeons? I would like to get a few for training. I took my pup to the field a few times just using the dummy (no, not just me) and he was readily able to find it in the tall grass whether I hid it or if I simulated a shot bird scenario. I would chuck the dummy, had him whoa next to me then send him. One time he headed for the dummy then turned sharply, I was wondering what the heck?! Well, he found a mourning dove that someone had shot, but didnt recover. So, I was pleased with that.

i would shy away from letting him catch/chase flying birds right away especially if he has the drive and a good pedigree..

In reference to my pup he certainly has the drive. I think I will just go to a game farm this weekend and see if they will let me walk him by the pens or somehow otherwise introduce him to birds. Then progress to planted birds in the field.

I havent done the pigeon/chuckar training with any of my other pups and they turned out as great hunters. He is going to be the oldest pup I have had at the beginning of the season so this could turn out to be a decent first season. Birds permitting obviously.

I have been using Pigeons all summer while training my pup, now 9 months. I started with wings, then dead bird retrieves, banded wing, then flushing/planting them. I catch them. Personally had my best success getting them in parking ramps after dark when roosted. flash light and a fishing net works well.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a Lab catching birds. If it was a pointer, that would be another story.

Yeah I don't want him to catch birds either. Last night he pointed the 2 dopey mourning doves sitting in my yard when I let him out. He didn't see them until he was 5 ft away. I was thinking this could get interesting lol

i'm just saying my lab developed a bad habit of chasing birds; after releasing some pigeons (my fault, took too many wing feathers out) and quail (i wouldnt recommend quail) that would only fly 30 yds, before i knew it, he had it built in to himself, "if i chase the bird long enough, it'll land and i can grab him" again, this was my fault as i should have had a longer check cord, but now I know for my 2nd dog in the future!

now that he is 3 years old and some real birds under his belt, he is getting alot better at ignoring them and comes right back

That's an obedience issue, not an "I caught a bird once so now I think I can catch them all" issue. The OP's dog is darn young yet, and letting it chase and catch a few birds to build desire and drive is a good thing at this point. Calling off a dog from a flush is something all handlers should practice.

That's an obedience issue, not an "I caught a bird once so now I think I can catch them all" issue. The OP's dog is darn young yet, and letting it chase and catch a few birds to build desire and drive is a good thing at this point. Calling off a dog from a flush is something all handlers should practice.

or better yet teach them to sit on the flush, very easy to do, problem of chasing birds solved