• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ruff grouse reports 2014 season

Hunted Nemadji last year and did pretty well. You have to get off the trails and having a good dog helps a lot. I like what they are doing up there, lots of logging going on.
We will have one pretty good dog with us thanks for the info. I have not hunted the area since 2007 but we did pretty good when We were there. Will report Sat night how it went.

Good luck to everyone going out this weekend!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walked a couple of trails Saturday morning with my wife and the dog. Wound up with 2 grouse and 2 woodcock. Saw 2 more grouse, but didn't get shots at them. This was in the Bagley are, and yes the deer ticks are horrible right now!!!

Buddy of mine has one leg and can shoot from vehicle legally. It's a hassle though because when he does it sometimes he gets read the riot act from someone else until he explains the situation or pulls his pants leg up and shows his titanium prosthesis. Although most people going 5 mph I'd wager aren't handicap or legal to do it.

Now back to the 2014 Grouse Report...

Anyone that knows me knows that I hunt grouse about as hard as anyone. In the thick stuff all day, don't walk trails, check the compass and follow the dog. That being said, I did do a little road hunting this weekend. It was hot, dog was tired and the guys that agreed to come with me aren't as keen on sticks in the eyes and ears as I am.

Its nice to enjoy the woods from a comfy seat sometimes as well. As long as all rules are being followed I think its an ok way to kill an hour or two in between walking.

Yep. Setterguy nailed it.

I enjoy a walk in the woods as much as the next fat person, but it's also a very pleasant way to spend the afternoon slowly cruising county roads and backwoods logging roads just taking in the scenery, and occasionally hopping out to chase a grouse.

When the population numbers are down sometimes a person has to cover more ground then they can on foot to find a bird or two. Couldn't agree more about what is said above. If all the rules are followed there's nothing wrong with anyone, handicapped or not, taking an afternoon drive looking for a grouse.

If one is ONLY road hunting, that's kind of "another story". But I know a LOT of people that only hunt deer from their truck. What are you going to do? crazy

It's really no different then folks driving hundreds of miles to "scout" for waterfowl. You gotta find em' somehow.

As one gets a little older, and a little more experienced, we're not quite so quick to judge others based on our own perception. whistle

Back to topic:

Most of the beans are off in NW MN, and the sharp-tails are showing up in HUGE numbers! Unfortunately, too much of our CRP is being put back into production, and I fear for the future of our sharptails up here.

Leaves are all down now, and I'm seeing ruffies a lot more often. From here on out I'm thinking we should see a pretty good upland hunting season!

I generally avoid trails where there is a truck parked at the trailhead. I have had a guys on an ATV putt by me before and it was a bit frustrating. I usually get off the trail anyway but it still feels pretty rude.

I have shot a lot of grouse after being pasted by wheeler. It seemed the grouse heard them coming and flattened down or stood still, but as soon as the wheeler was getting out of noise range they would start moving. It seemed to be focused on the way the wheeler went. As moved I moved in for a shot. We as hunter need to stick together and stop fighting among our selves. If it is legal to ride a wheeler where you choose to grouse hunt than you should expect to see wheelers. There are more than enough trails where wheelers are not allowed.

I know someone will say some wheelers go where ever they want well if they are breaking the law call tip. Lets all get along and have an understanding for the other side. My cousin has a disability and is not able to walk, but he gets nasty comments from hunters who are walking for grouse. All because he riding a wheeler, well he can not walk.

So what is everyone's take on ATV road hunters coming up behind a couple guys and a dog on a trail and passing them only to cruse slowly along looking for grouse the two walkers could have flushed and shot?

The ATV people should of turned around. A lot of people have quit grouse hunting because of ATV owners being irresponsible.

I hadn't hunted the Paul Bunyan forest for years and we were out there two weeks ago. The dirt bikers have a ton of legal trails that run everywhere. It stinks to be hunting and then here comes 3 guys on dirt bikes. It happened a lot and although it's their right I wish it wasn't. I won't go back there for sure.

I have shot a lot of grouse after being pasted by wheeler. It seemed the grouse heard them coming and flattened down or stood still, but as soon as the wheeler was getting out of noise range they would start moving. It seemed to be focused on the way the wheeler went. As moved I moved in for a shot. We as hunter need to stick together and stop fighting among our selves. If it is legal to ride a wheeler where you choose to grouse hunt than you should expect to see wheelers. There are more than enough trails where wheelers are not allowed.

I know someone will say some wheelers go where ever they want well if they are breaking the law call tip. Lets all get along and have an understanding for the other side. My cousin has a disability and is not able to walk, but he gets nasty comments from hunters who are walking for grouse. All because he riding a wheeler, well he can not walk.

I have no problems with 4 wheelers in the woods. However, there is absolutely ZERO excuse for a four wheeler to come down a trail where there is a truck already parked at the head of that trail!!!!

Being a walker with a dog I get in 4-5 trails a day, now I'm down to 3-4 with the days growing shorter. 4 wheelers can get to twice as many a day or more. Why would you go down a trail you know for sure there is a walker on it right now? That's what's most amazing to me about this situation.

It's called Hunter Etiquette or Common Sense or Being Courteous

I can agree but you are not the owner of the Forest. Everyone can use it as they see fit. I have been bow hunting a trail I parked on and had a guy and his dog some marching down the trail. It works both ways man. Just remember people are rude and do not seem to care about each other anymore. I understand the need to vent about things. My cousin would never ride down a trail that had a truck parked there, but he has had many walk down a trail he was already down on his wheeler. The walker did not know he was down there, but the issue is when the walker starts in on my cousin for riding a wheeler. I area I hunt is mostly walking trails now, because the forest service blocks most of the old logging roads with piles of rocks, trees, and dirt. I am not complaining, because I am a walker most of the time. My cousin is limited on the trails he can ride on and then he get ripped apart by some Yuppy with their LL Bean Coat, Boots, 2000 dollar shotgun, and drive a fancy SUV. That is my vent. If we all get along have respect for each other this world will be a better place. Have a nice day and good luck finding a grouse.

A simple solution to the 4 wheeler problem (if you consider them a problem) is to either

A. Don't hunt the trails. Walk the woods.

B. Hunt WMAs where 4 wheelers are not allowed.

Every one has their own idea of what is enjoyable to them. Some see a successful hunt as bagging birds. Some see a successful hunt when the months of dog training come together for one perfect moment in the woods, downed bird or not. Others enjoy spending the day on a 4 wheeler, enjoying the day with friends and family. My tastes are not yours, and yours are probably not mine, but as long as respect and consideration are shown to all law abiding sportsman, I think everyone will have more of the days they deem successful.

MonsterMoose - I don't know why what a guy wears or drives has any bearing on what the man says. I wear filson hunting gear ( all gifts over the last 15 years), have an English setter and drive an SUV(have kids and they play hockey), Out in the woods I probably look like the guy you described. Just like you don't want someone prejudging you and your cousin as lazy or disrespectful just because you guys drive 4 wheelers, please don't do the same because of how a guy dresses or what he drives.

I kill birds walking trails after ATVs.

I kill more grouse on trails walking out than in.

Grouse that are active (moving) are easier found by dogs than those inactive, sleeping or in trees.

Grouse that have been pressured - RUN, RUN, RUN ....

Under the right conditions my dog will be locked on point on the trail and the grouse will flush from 5 - 10 yards in the woods.

My dogs learn to cover each side of the trail. I move off the trail if the dog goes on point or I miss and decide to follow.