• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kansas Youth Hunt 2014

Crappie Rage

Friday September 5 we picked up the 3 kids at school and hit the road for the next 7 hours. Our destination was a 2 bedroom mobile home and 300 acres of some of the funnest hunting property in the country. Confidence was high with decent temps being predicted.

Arrived at the mobile at 10pm, unpacked and hit the rack. The 2 kids who were hunting were out of bed quickly and ready to go.

My son(12) and I headed to the Triangle Plot and McLovin and his daughter(16) headed to a ladder stand on another piece of property. 58 degrees and the best starting temp in the 4 years we have been doing the youth hunt.

At 7:40 my son says, there is a deer. I thought he was joking because I couldn’t see it. But then it moves in the field and he gets into position and I get him the .243. The doe stops broadside at 25 yards and I am waiting for the shot. Nothing. She starts heading in front of us at about 20 yards. I bent down to get in line with him and burped her to a stop. The shot came shortly thereafter.

She ran 30 yards to the other side of the plot, stopped at the edge of the woods and backstepped and cartwheeled into the plot and it was over. We were both excited.

I asked him why he didn’t shoot when she stopped to feed and he said that I didn’t grunt at the deer to stop it. Too many hunting shows, I guess.

full-16015-48991-ksyouthhunt2014(10).jpg

Now this post should go on for pages and include photos of another doe and 2 really nice bucks but unfortunately kids miss and disappointment happens. But both kids are wanting to bow hunt more and the third kid says she is going to deer hunt next year for the first time.

We did have one hour of home schooling. 5 card draw and blackjack were taught at the beginner level.

full-16015-48993-rsz_ksyouthhunt2014_131