• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nocturnal Bears

cass

I have been hunting for the last week with 3 bait sites. All of the baits are getting pounded but only at night like 1AM to 4AM. What do I do????? I did have a sow and 2 cubs come in but don't want to shoot her.

Myself wouldntndo a burn yet. The temps are gona get cooler soon. And alotof times thats enough to get them to comenin during shooting. It triggers the need to feed. I likento save a burn for a last ditch effort. A burnnis great when they are comi g in just after dark. But when its late like 1-4 i let the cooler temps do the work. My 2 cents but dot mean a burn wont do the trick. If a guy exhaust all his best tricks early on hes got nuthing left. At the end of the game. Pentybof timento see what happens.

Yep, what Boar said. Just make sure to drill a ton of holes in the coffee can or the sterno will go out. The coffee can is turned upside down with the sterno underneath. I like to stack the sternos 2 high so the top one that is burning is a little closer to the bottom of the coffee can. That will get the honey bubbling over the soup can and onto the bottom of the coffee can which puts out an nice little burnt honey smell.

It works great but one has to be cwrfull of grease fire cause u cant regulate a sternos heat. Ive used candles before the little tea candles for pumpkins and experimented to see hou many it takes to simmer bacon without a snap crackel pop. If you bought some bacon scent from bear scence and used a sterno. I just dont like using uncontroled heat and bacon just good mix for a grease fire. Honey wont burst into flame and when it bubbles over and even when it starts to burn is wen its best. If you play aroundnwith the distance the sterno is from the bacon to find a happy medium or remove some of the gel so it dont burn so long might help. Candles blow out sometimes. Alot of guys hear do burns how do u guys do a safe bacon hurn. Removeimg any forest debree in a lage circle aroundur burner is a must. Do u guys try and regulate the amountof heat or just leter cook?

My first bacon burn went up in flames also. I have since down a couple with good success using the method I spoke of earlier. The sterno stays far enough way to keep it from getting to hot. I just used the grease from after cooking it, not the whole bacon piece. And yes the bear [PoorWordUsage] trick can work. Tried it the first time last year and the bear came in during daylight. Only for a couple of seconds though so the hunter did not get a shot at him.

Yup jb bear poo p is a bad word and urnie is pee pee. Werenin fifth grade hear.yeah i agree if i feel the need to do a burn with bacon i go get a bag at WM of the ends and pieces for about 7 bucks and cook it all up and use the grease not bacon it self. Why? I love bacon and aint given it to a bear.