• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catch and Release Lakes?

LPCrowRiverFisherman

What would be your take on having a couple lakes in the state being catch and release only? I fished one from shore in the UP of Michigan yesterday and it was down right amazing. It is what I would imagine walleye fishing in Canada is like.

Quote:
Learned of a lake in the UP that was catch and release only due to mercury levels. We could use a lake or two like this in Minnesota minus the mercury. Naturally reproduced populations with walleye and pike everywhere. Not to much size today, up to 20" for eyes but its a tough time of year for shore fishing big eyes. Thats right shore fishing and catching bunches of walleyes on a lake in the beginning of September. When I say the fish are everywhere I really mean they are. All I can say is amazing.

14982473338_248f48c0d9.jpg

15146018266_295e53d424.jpg

Not a bad idea. Mississippi River Pool 2 is C&R for walleyes all year long and it seems to be doing really well. Not sure why they don't do that with a few lakes too. Obviously not the southern put and take muddy-bottom lakes that they have to stock -- they'd need to find one with reasonable natural production. Plenty of those up north.

I think its a good idea. Pool 2 is a great example of an awesome C&R walleye fishery. Also, Steiger Lake in Carver County has been catch and release only for LMB and pike for as long as I can remember and puts out nice fish because of it (although I haven't been over there for a few years).

I know turtle lake in shoreview is C & R for bass only for a long time now and the population of decent size fish is there. I would like to see a lake like that for walleyes as well. To some it maybe a swimming filet or a boring fish to catch but if that is your take we are fortunate to have 10,000 other lakes in this state to fish. I see lakes like this a great way to get kids interested in fishing. My uncle lives on turtle lake in shoreview and when I was younger it was a riot catching 15"-18" bass all day on a leech and bobber.

Kettle

OH...MY...DEITY!! Could you imagine the absolute, Veruca Salt, full-on tantrums if they made one of the nicer lake in the NE part of the state a C&R lake for Walters? Anglers; resort owners; legislators sick of the phone calls, the list goes on. It would be Mille Lacs Spearing II. Personally, even if all lakes were C&R, I'd still fish the exact same amount of days. Love eating them, hate cleaning them. That's why the Maker made fish sticks, Talipia, smoked salmon, stores to buy these things in, etc. But, I will not deny anyone the right to clean and eat a legal possession of fish. So like I said, "personally" (as in it is my opinion only. Not me ramming my opinion down someone's throat).