• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass setup

Iceman12

I posted this in the equipment section but figured I would get more response here. I got into bass fishing last summer and started to enjoy it. I want to buy a rod and reel for bass fishing. Just looking for some suggestions on a nice setup to use for bass fishing. Thanks

Wow, thats a tough one... A rod reel combo really has a job. Much like in any fishing situation some rods will do the job better than others. I shouldnt assume your a walleye guy but if you are you dont usually use the same rod for running a lindy rig as you do for bottom bouncers.

With bass, any rod will do the job but some will do it better. If I had only one rod It would be a 6' 6" Medium Heavy rod with a Shimano Curado baitcaster with 10-12 pound line.

Thats just my opinion!

Like everyone mentioned, without knowing what "style" or "techniques" you used to get into bass fishin' it is nearly impossible to recommend anything but a generic rod/reel.

I would differ slightly with my esteemed comrades in that I would recommend a medium action rod with fast tip and some backbone instead of medium heavy. You could also go with a baitcaster or a spinning reel but baitcaster is better for most applications.

The reason for going a bit lighter in the rod is that it makes it easier/less fatigue for casting spinnerbaits and crankbaits and most soft plastics. I WILL NOT doa good job of pulling bass out of the slop and weeds.

Daze Off

The guys above probably have alot better input than I do but here it goes.
I got back into bass fishing about four years ago, my job I have now allows more free time, and it has come along ways from ten years ago, but I think no matter what type of fishing you plan to do, weather it is for fun or tourneys, the rods and reels are the most important. Don't just buy something that will get you by, you can spend about $70.00 and get into the Quantum PT series, fenwick HMG or Shimmano Clarus, which are real nice rods for the money, and for the reels, I like the Currodo by Shimmano but Quantum has some new reels out this year in the $70.00 range that are very compairable, not sure on the name, but it comes in an olive green and sand color, I think it is a 500 something in the PT series, and if you use right hand retrieve you have many more choices for middle of the road reels that will perform good. Most of my bait casters are 7' for fishing jig n pigs or plastics in general, with two 6'.6" for spinnerbaits and top water, and two spinning rods that are 7' for carolina and texas rigs. The biggest thing is what you feel comfortable with and how you plan to fish it, meaning lure of choice, not sure if it's any help, just my two cents.

------------------
Good Luck To All, Wormburner!
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit!
[email protected]

Here is my 2 cents. Depending on whether you like a spinning or casting set up here are my favorites. For Spinning I like a Shimano Symetre 2000 paired with a St. Croix Premier 6'6" MH with an Xtra Fast Tip. For Casting I like a Shimano Curado Super Free with a St. Croix Premier Series 6'6" MH also.

There are so many different combinations out there though hard to go wrong.

Happy Fishing smile.gif

Like the rest of the guys have made clear, it is hard to bring it down to one set-up. Kind of like asking a golfer to narrow the game down to one club.

Here is my rig if I only get one.

6'6" Medium HMG Fenwick (I agree that the medium action rod will give you more versatility for a number of baits)

Abu-Garcia 4600 C-4

Doug

------------------
Captain Doug Wintle
Spring Bay Resort & Guide Service
http://www.SpringBayResort.com

Lund Pro Staff
RJ Sport and Cycle Pro Staff
[email protected]
800-847-5253

I have to agree with those who say to go with the Medium Heavy over a Medium blank. (We are talking baitcasting gear) The only lures that need softer action rods are topwaters and cranks and even then I think a medium heavy is the ideal choice, you just go with a medium heavy technique specific rod.

More expensive, better blank rods give one the luxury of having a light rod with a soft and sensitive tip that plays into serious muscle (Medium Heavy).

Thanks for all the reply's. Last year when I was bash fishing I was doing a lot of Carolina rigging. When doing that I was using a Gander MT. med/lt spinning combo and it seemed to work out for me for the most part. I actually want to get a baitcaster this year because all of my reels are spinning reels. I know there is probably not a rod for this but what rod would work best if I wanted to use it for Carolina rigs, crankbaits and spinnerbaits? Thanks for the help.

I am going to have to jump on the 6'6'' medium heavy bandwagon also for one rod to get. Also I prefer baitcasting gear to spinning gear for the sole reason I think they are easier to fish with. The only problem is throwing light weight lures with a caster is not to easy. If you are not to proficient with the casters spinning rods will do the trick. I know of guys that yse only spinning gear.

Iceman12-A med light is probably a little light for carolina rigs and spinnerbaits.. but a great rod for Crankbaits... however, a Medium heavy rod would be best for C-rig and Spinnerbait. Unless you are a tall dude.. I would stick with the 6'6"... maybe a 7'er...

For Spinning gear, I don't see anything wrong with a stout medium or a medium light provided that they have some backbone.

I have a 6'7" Rapala Long Cast Medium Light that is ideal for drop shoting, spilt shotting, light texas rigging, floating raps and shad raps, and a few other techniques. It may be medium light, but that doesn't mean it's a wimpy rod without significant backbone eventually.

Exedude, last year was my first year bass fishing and that's just the rod I had out there everytime it seemed. I have mainly been a Walleye/panfish guy but I joined a fishing league last year and bass fishing was a lot of fun. I am not a tall guy at all, 5'10". I am definitely thinking about getting a med/heavy for this year though. Just trying to figure out what reel would work. I have all spinning reels right now, that's all I have ever used. Would a spinning reel work or should I use a baitcaster? I've heard it's kind of tough to get the hang of a baitcaster, is that true? Thanks for everyone's help on here. This site is great.

[This message has been edited by Iceman12 (edited 03-24-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Iceman12 (edited 03-24-2004).]

Iceman12-

By all means its not required to fish with baitcasting gear for bass. There are many who fish with spinning gear. The only real disadvantage of fishing with spinning gear is that spinning gear willnot cast 10and 12 lb line as well as baitcasting. Yes baitcasters can be hard to learn at first. But the rewards you get are well worth the pain they are to learn. Its a decision that you must make for yourself.

If you plan on sticking with Spinning gear, I would highly suggest you stick with a 6'6" med/heavy action rod and a decent spinning reel. One I suggest you look at that wont break your pocket book is the Shimano Sedona 2500... it will run you about $50 but worth every penny if you ask me. Diawa, Abu-Garcia, Okuma all make very good reels as well... And there will be a lot of 6'6" med/heavy rods for you to choose from as well... Go to a store and hold a bunch of them and see what feels best in your price range!!!!

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF BASSFISHING!!!!