• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2014 Twist of Fate archery Hunt

Well, it's getting to be that time with the annual Twist of Fate hunt in North Dakota. I have forgotten what year this is but it could be 16th year of the hunt and 15th year for me guiding a disabled archer. 15 years ago I said I would help out with 1 hunt and it has been such a joy to help others enjoy what so many of us enjoy that can do this with no help I guess I just continued to do this year after year. I am hoping I can make 20 years and if I do, guess I will shoot for 25 but by that time, I will be over 70, not sure I will be physically able to help anyone as I myself may simply be not physically able to do so, God willing, I will be there for this very special hunt.

I have always worked as a guide with a hunter but it has gotten a lot harder for me with my bad back.

Thanks to Scoot's buddy Gabe, he is going to help me out with the hunt this year and it will help me continue to do this hunt as a guide.

Gabe had our hunter out this weekend as our hunter is from Fargo, for some target practice. Gabe is also going to check out the blind and haul some corn out and set up a trail camera along with Scoot I believe, not sure who is doing what. My memory like my back is bad at times.

This will be a huge helping hand for me as I always need to make 2-3 extra 500 mile trips every season to get the blind and corn there before the hunt and set up a trail camera.

In the past few years, Scoot, has been a huge help also in helping me get this all ready and has saved me a lot in time with the long drive and doing all the work he has done.

I would just like to thank both Gabe and Scoot for all their help and a job well done. These 2 fellows are what helping others is all about, cannot say enough about them both.

Our hunter this year, Jeffrey from Fargo has the use of one arm so I will build a shooting rest table for him with an adjustable crossbow holder in the front so Jeffrey can hold and shoot with his one arm. Gabe said he shot pretty good today so all I have to do is build this table shooting rest with the bow holder and hopefully we will be golden. I do see a deer the first evening and I am pretty confident of this as I always have deer coming out by the blind Scoot built years ago far before sunset.

Can't wait for the 26th of Sept for this hunt, the highlight of my fall season.

Thanks Guys.

I hope you have a wonderful hunt and that you can do this until your well into your 80's. I think it is wonderful that people are willing to help people with disabilities. I do have a disability but volunteering would be something I may be interested in. If you could PM please. Thank you

The TOF hunt is such a cool deal! Tom's been an awesome contributer to it for a long time and I think it's great. I wouldn't even know about it if it weren't for Tom. I've chipped in on the hunt in years past a little, but this year I've moved to Ada (from Fargo) and it's tougher for me to get out there as much. Gabe has been helping out more, which is awesome. As I understand it Gabe is going to be actively involved in the hunt this year- should be a really great experience for him and all involved.

Glad to hear Gabe got the hunter out there this weekend. I haven't talked with him about it yet, but I'll call him later today and get the scoop. Thanks Tom for doing all the work you do on this hunt- I know it's important to you and I think it's such a great cause!

Well, all the leg work is done, going out tithe blind in about 1 hour. Things are lookin great, deer have consumed approx 1,300 pounds of corn and hundreds of deer pics on the trail camera. Now we need the deer to move in this 83 temp before dark. I feel great as all the stars are lining up for my hunter Jeffrey, practice is done and if we get a good shot, party should start shortly after this evening hopefully. Thanks for all the best wishes, out of my hands now, just down to a good shot at a cooperative deer.

Well we got in the blind at 3:45. Lots of turkey's but no deer movement until sunset. Just a few minutes later, a8 pointer walks right by the side of the blind. I had to get the crossbow up to Jeff as with only one arm he cannot. Just as I got the bow up, turned the red dot scope on I see a very nice 10 pointer looking at me throught the blind window approx 14 ft away. I get a bolt in the crossbow and pushed the safety off and Jeff is now ready to send one flying. The deer r both standing away from us so no shot, I told Jeff, just wait till they turn broadside and fire. In a matter of seconds, the ten runs away. I said shoot the 8 now, he slid the bolt right in behind the rib cage hoping it would run up to the boiler room. The deer went to jump the fence, crashed hard, then got up, jumped the fence and wobbled maybe 20 yards and tipped over. The bolt took out 1 lung and the heart, a perfect shot. High risk shot but Jeff was shooting so well, I figure red he could make this shot. There were 2 happy guys high giving each other.

Overall the hunt was a great success. Kill was down a bit due to the high heat but we harvested 7 or8 deer, not sure of the last ones tracking results. Seems ever hunter got at least a shot but the nerves got to a few of them, heck that happens to even the fully capable. Now we wait for next years hunt.