• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More on jigs

kt

I have a question for all you bassers. I fish with jigs a lot, in both shallow and deep water. I like to fish my jigs on a 7'6" flippin stick teamed with 30 pound power pro. My question is, when fishing deep water structure like weedlines, points, sunken islands, etc. have any of you guys had more success by downsizing line or using a fluorocarbon leader, or do most of you use the same setup for deepwater jig fishing as you do for your heavy cover fishing.

thanks,

kt

KT-
I fish a lot of jigs... and love fishing them as well...I use 15 lb P-Line Floroclear for deepwater jigging. The way I look at it, most often when you are fishing mostly weeds and rock at that depth and in very clear water. that is if you are fishing deep water. I like the abraision resistance to rock and the invisibility of the Florocarbon... For all my shallow water jigging I use Power Pro braid in 30 or 50 or even 65 in some cases....however I have 2 deepwater jigging rods rigged most of the time with 15lb florocarbon...

95% of the time I use the same line in all jigging conditions. 17lb. LOW stretch line.(lo-vis green) I prefer Stren. Most of my jig fishing is in 8+ feet so low stretch is important to me. The ability to feel everything at the end of the line is important. I have tried braided line but it digs into the spool to much when setting the hook. With a good knot, break-offs are very rare with 17lb line. Plus the low stretch allows for a powerful hookset in deep water.