• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new to dieting etc... some ??s

dfv87

OK I have been a big guy since HS... But now 45 yrs old and back issues, acid reflux, and kids getting active in sports, I need to get heathly-er than I am now. I bit he bullet and quit my 3-4 20oz of pop a day habit. It has been almost 2 weeks and I still shake a little when I go to lunch with customers and I order a water instead of a diet coke but that is getting better.

Anyway I had surgery on my ankle 10 years ago and then resumed playing softball for several years, which was a choice the doctors were not in favor of... they said I "could" but there would likely be issues later in life... but when you are playing you just want to play. So issues with treadmills and walking running outside are an issue now. Swelling pain etc... I have not been a biker since I was a little kid... I don't have access to a pool and I don't swim well anyway.

What are some good low impact stuff I can do to help with weight loss/ getting fit? My wife likes yoga but I am not sure I can/want to do that... we are also looking at ellipticals (sp?) I have another buddy that used an app on his phone to keep track of his food and exercise. Do those help?

just looking for some general advice... if you have any.

I would think ellipticals would be ok. I've ran and walked for years but never used a machine unless I have to as I hate being in the same spot for too long. I think a stair master would be ok, also

I'm 54 years old and have been in good shape all my life. I started out lifting weights as a teen and only added running and walking in my 30's. So I'm not an expert but this is what's worked for me

At your age, the one thing to keep in mind is when you're in your 40's, you can't eat like a 16 y/o. I don't care how much you work out. The middle age system is not like that of a young adult. I like to eat fish and lean meats like chicken but I never deprive myself. I don't do low carb but I don't load up on pasta and white rice and potatoes. How about some weight lifting? You don't want to lose muscle and lower your metabolism. A gym membership is a good investment. And, depending on your insurance plan, you may get a discount on the cost of your membership

Thanks, community center membership for the family is being looked at, they have multiple machines and pool (buddy of mine recommended water walking for lower impact vs walking on land. Pool allows this I guess)

My wife has already worked on my diet... I really enjoy cooking so it is an adjustment to the styles of things I can have. I am doing less carbs but not cutting them. We also picked up on grilling veggies vs potatoes. I switched to olive oil vs butter on much stuff and portions are better (not correct yet but I am working downward).

I have always been a bigger guy but when I played sports I was still active and the weight never seemed to be an issue. Now the weight has added on the past 5 years (after stopping playing ball/other sports) and it is an issue. I know the weight wasn't going to just magically drop off but starting out is the hard part and I was hoping cutting soda would jump start me on losing weight... 10 days in, it hasn't done much.

I have a friend that did a cleanse but he loses and gains weight every couple of months. For my back issue, I wanted to do whole life changes. It is harder than I thought.

I have also stopped drinking pop (was anywhere from 3-8 cans of coke daily) and I thought I would lose weight and I havent. I have slimmed down in areas but the scale still reads the same. Good Luck to you as I am in the similar boat as you and hoping to drop a few pounds to alleciate pain in the back, knees,and feet

dfv87,

Congrats on starting a healthier lifestyle and you seem to be taking a few steps in a positive direction but low impact cardio isn't going to drop weight. If you're going to do cardio machines it will have to be in the form of interval training. Your best bet is to start a weight training program doing a form of circuit training where you do a complete body workout each time with minimum rest between sets. The gym that you go to , hopefully, will have someone qualified to show you a program of this type. A common mistake that people make is assuming cardio will eliminate fat quickly. Cardio will help your cardiovascular system but is only a small part of the picture. You're already starting to change your eating habits, nice job, but it's what you eat not just making a few adjustments. A healthy diet, cardio for your heart and lungs and a good strength training program will help you attain your goals. Earlier I mentioned the word lifestyle, that's what it actually is, a wholesale change in your lifestyle, good luck. I notice you live in Blaine, same here and the best gym for your needs is G365 fitness in Coon Rapids by Northtown. Great equipment and some of the best trainers you can find.

It will be money well spent plus you will have someone to hold you accountable besides yourself which is usually needed. It will take awhile but with the proper program you should see results fairly quickly. Another point, don't be a slave to the scale, just because you aren't losing weight doesn't mean you're not changing.

If the pop you were drinking was diet, then eliminating it won't do much for your weight. It indeed might be good for you to quit anyway.

For me, the secret to using machines to workout is TV (or a tablet/phone streaming). A good show or a movie goes a long way towards making it tolerable. Yes, it is boring on those machines, but hunting and fishing can have their moments of boredom also.

It takes a good while to ramp down the amount of food you are accustomed to eating, for sure, especially if you are someone who likes to snack.

I don't know if you'd be interested in this approach, but it definitely works. Some might call it extreme. smile

I'm 47 now and recently read a book by Caldwell B. Esselstyn called "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure. It was so interesting reading why he believes many, if not most people in this country suffer from various stages of heart disease. I looked back at some old records and found that the last time my cholesterol was checked it was 200. That was too high according to him.

I decided to get heart healthy and follow his approach. Well, it didn't take long and I dropped 30 lbs. Had been about 200 lbs. most of my adult life and now I'm a slim 170 lbs or so. My cholesterol fell to 141 the last time I had it checked. It's probably much lower now.

If you want to PM me...feel free or just check out the book. Oh...and don't think this is some crazy fad diet. Dr. Esselstyn is a highly respected surgeon from the Cleveland Clinic.

Obviously exercise is a important component to your goal of weight loss and getting fit. I have always been pretty active, but it wasn't until I changed my eating habits that I seen results like this. Wow!

The "approach" to any healthy nutrition plan (NOT DIET) is based on your individual needs. I work as a nutrition coach and there is no magic plan that everyone should follow. There are some basic percentages, but in order to fine tune a plan you have to look at YOU and find out what the exact numbers are.

Nutrition is the number 1 key to a healthy weight loss. Exercise is great, but it will not help you if you are still eating bad. You can run for an hour and it won't burn off a large McDOnalds lunch.

Eat to lose weight. Exercise to build muscle. Muscle helps burn more calories/boost metabolism.

There are lots of good resources for free out there and they will get you close or talk with someone who does it for a living to get it dialed in.

One of the best things you can do is continue to talk about your goals with people who will support you and keep you accountable. Day one is the hardest, every day after that gets a little easier.

Exercise for me is the easy part, diet is another ball game. Fortunately I have a very high metabolism and it is very difficult for me to gain weight. I still would like to be leaner though and hopefully can get more disciplined soon. The biggest thing for me is the preparation and cost of eating really healthy.

Spent another weekend changing eating habits and it is getting easier, still not easy but not crazy hungry or desiring a Diet Dr Pepper terribly. Went to lunch with a client today and ALMOST had a Diet Coke but opted for water. I am not ready to have a soda yet. ONe would be 2 refills and then I am back on it I think. Maybe someday I will be able to have one or maybe not.

Food portions are getting better as my wife is helping me. The exercise thing is still my Achilles heal... finding time sounds like a cop out but 4 kids in sports is tough. I need to find time to make that happen too so taking it slow to start is my plan.

Sounds like you are on the right course. I joined Weight Watchers last year and lost about 20 pounds. I like it because it holds me accountable and its very programmatic. I don't find it too restricting or tough to follow. It's actually quite simple and it makes you think about how ridiculously defeating some of these fast food combos and restaurant meals really are. It's actually kind of fun to keep track and easy if you have a smart phone. I know there are free resources but the WW app makes it easy.

We also invested in a AFG elliptical last year. It was a significant investment but fairly reasonable if you consider what a health club membership costs. And they had a 0 percent financing plan. Already paid off and I enjoy working out on it in the privacy of my own home watching the Outdoor Network all winter. BTW, highly recommend this brand. Got good ratings on Consumer Reports and its as solid as a rock.

After spending most of my youth overweight, I picked up bicycling as an active sport after I graduated from college. Some 30+ years later, I still cycle and enjoy the benefits. It offers great aerobic exercise and keeps you interested in doing it again the next day. I tried jogging but I suffered too many aches/pains to keep it up. One of the keys to success (for me and many like us) is to pick up a low-impact aerobic activity that will keep you motivated and interested. Boredom can kill any exercise program, so getting outdoors whenever you can and enjoying a ride with friends is a great way to keep motivated. Winters can be a challenge, but you can put your bike on a trainer or try winter riding on fat tires. For me, the key to losing weight and keeping it off was to find an aerobic activity that was fun and motivated me to do more. Finding friends who also cycle is a great way to stay motivated ...

57 yrs old here. Avid walker/hiker. I do lift weights, but mostly just do I don't keep losing muscle mass, mostly higher rep stuff where I the max is about 15 reps. And not a naturally small guy either.

I try very hard to get get at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours a day of exercise. I don't count walking to and from the car or down the street to subway.

Food, try very hard to eat a balanced diet. Of 21 meals a week probably 17 to 18 of them are very healthy. We don't buy soda pop, we don't buy cookies, we don't buy chips. Whole grain breads, lean meats and stuff like burgers, steaks, chops etc gets grilled. 2 pounds or baby red potatoes lasts up at least a couple of weeks. We eat a fair amount of fresh fruits, veggies, salads in lieu of potatoes etc.

Breakfast is usually 80 cal yogurt and an apple/orange/pear. Lunch either a sandwich, veggies fruit or a trip to subway. Dinner something like a Chicken Breast/Grilled Burger/Pork Chop salad, fresh fruit and maybe a slice of whole grain bread. Snacks are stuff like low salt mixed nuts or backed triscuit cracker or the likes.

Been able to maintain a weight that I am a pretty comfortable at and best of all I feel good.

update... been a month with no pop! I am finally free of the cravings in the am and at lunches (still get a pang for one in the afternoon about 3PM to get me through the end of the day at work, but so far have not given in). Drinking lots of water and noticed some weight loss. Added mainly salads (either vinegar oil or no dressing) to my lunch menu. Got a few comments from my coworkers/buddies about that (in good natured ribbing) but they all understand it. Been trying to use the elliptical but having ankle issues with that also, dang surgery. I might need to go to the pool... Sleeping has been 2000% better since removing soda. Started bowling season now so that is somewhat an activity. Also trying to help at son's football practices. Basketball season (I coach) is fast approaching so I hope to have better luck with that moving around and being active. Overall the changes are slower than I hoped but they are coming. And most importantly I don't feel like I am dieting or denying myself... so the life choices are just different now. Thanks for the info people, hope you all feel well also!

Make sure to have protein in all of your meals. There are many was to get protein into your diet besides meat, but meat does have the most bang for portion size.

Having salads is great for adding fruits and veggies to your diet and cutting calories, but make sure to still have healthy fats and protein. Add some chicken breast, tuna or lunch meat slices to your salad. You need the protein to feed your muscles which do the heavy lifting when it comes to burning calories in your body.

Buddy of mine who is a chiropractor suggested the walking the pool as the resistance is easier on my ankle and it is supposed to be a better workout. Still not liking the idea of the pool but if I must... I must.

I am including meat (chicken mainly) lunches with some beef or even some pork at dinner. Portion control and trying to replace SOME carbs (pasta/potatoes) with more veggies. Been on a brochilli (sp?) kick lately...

dv

I am fifty and have had huge back and knee problems since i was thirty seven. I gained quite a few pnds because its just hard when your always hurting. So I ended up with type 2 diabetes and figured I better do something about it. I became a member at the pool. I do have an elliptical but the pool is so so much better on my joints. In three months getting rid of carbs and sugar and swimming three times a week I dropped forty five pnds. I would love to lose ten more and I would be very happy. Best thing is my sugar levels are non diabetic now!!

good luck

57 yrs old here. Avid walker/hiker. I do lift weights, but mostly just do I don't keep losing muscle mass, mostly higher rep stuff where I the max is about 15 reps.

I'm a little bit younger than you and I do heavy weights at low reps. I used to run but now I walk more.

Thanks for the thought Bottomdweller, I have been getting more active helping with my son's BBall and football teams and am doing really well IMO. My energy has been better with the diet and no soda... I went to the pool the other day and tried it out, I am not a swimmer so I tried resistance walking in the pool and it was a hard workout but I didn't have ankle issues. The only issue was the time it took to go there and work out and change again... with 4 kids in sports I am not sure that will fit in our schedule. But then again I need to make the time. I hope that once I lose some weight it will take stress off my joint more and I can do the treadmill or elliptical at home more.