• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Advice in September

I have only been to DL once in early summer. What type of tactics do guys use in early September? Casting into the trees, trolling deeper? Can perch be found or are they still scattered?

Have a trip coming up and am just looking for some advice on what to bring and any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Sutty

I myself have similar questions to original poster - As I have never - ever fished Devils Lake.

I will be working the greater ND area and traveling as far as Stanley, Bismark and Williston for work during my week in ND..

I decided to pull my 1440 Lund and stay at a resort for a week instead of jumping hotel to hotel - as I love to fish.

Any info prior to departure would be very appreciated.

Should I try minnows - throw jigs and twister tails - pull cranks, lead core - any depths to start out and try ? Any starter info appreciated.

If cranks pulled - do you snag often. Is weather and wind a bit much for a 1440 Lund or can I stay close to shore?

I would like to say thanks in advance for any info that might help me out - as well as poster above. My dates will be Sept 23rd to Oct 1st for work / play.

I will be closer to creel bay and 6 mile bay but I could travel if needed w trailer for a day likely.

Thanks Again - hopefully we can keep this post going with some fishing info.

We fished it last year in the last week of August.

They bit everything we threw at them in 6 feet of water to 40 feet of water. Jigs, bouncers, cranks, lead, leeches, crawlers, lindys, plastics etc...... didn't matter. Our joke for the weekend was if we put a treble hook on a door hinge that we still would've caught fish smile

Snags weren't too bad where we fished, but we lost a crank or two.

You'll have to keep a close eye on the wind speed and direction with a 14' boat, she can get a little bumpy in a hurry out there wink

We were there weekend of Sept 5-6. Did pretty well on bottom bouncers in 10-20 feet of water. We used mostly crawlers as leeches were scarce but the small amount of leeches we had also got bit. Lots of 12-17 inch fish. Biggest we boated was around 20 inches so nothing huge but lots of action. Did see a boat come in with a limit of big fish they were putting the knife to..... kind of sad to see but to each there own.

There were a lot of boats and shore fisherman stacking up at the bridges and most were catching fish.