• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What side should the reel be on?

JLE

I have been fishing for years using spinning gear, I bought a bait caster 2 years ago and can not get comfortable with the reel being on the right side. Does anyone use a left side reel or have any comments either way?

Here is a question I get asked often, if your right handed, why do you retrieve with your left? Just like you posted, I prefer left hand retrieve on spinning reels, steelhead rod, and baitcasters, because when I cast out I do not have to change the rod from one hand to the next, and also it is just more natural for me, all though I do have one baitcaster that has right hand retrieve, just to keep people guessing. I would say what ever one works for you that is the one to use!

------------------
Good Luck To All, Wormburner!
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit!

jle if you learn to use a left handed reel you will spend more time fishing, than switching hands.( i read this in a magazine article ) but some of us just can't get use to fishing that way. so i will stay with switching hands. del

I can remember back to when I first started fishing and my first reels were the good old zebco spincast reels with the push buttom release and if you grew up fishing these kinds of reels it's just natural to hold your baitcaster with your left and reel with your right. Of course when you switched to spinning gear as you got older you had to switch it around (don't ask me why).

It ultimately comes down to whatever is more comfortable. You may have to search just a tad more for the left handed baitcasters in the brand/style you want, but go with what works cool.gif

I'm semi ambidexterious but have to have do the reeling with my right hand whether using spinning or bastcasting.

For Spinning I cast with my left hand
For Flipping and Pitching I cast with my left hand
For Baitcasting I mostly throw with both, but when I do it with one hand I throw with my right. I learned to thumb the baitcaster with my right hand.

I think this is because Spinning, Flipping, and Pitching require more wrist snap than full arm throwing motion and I think my left wrist is actually stronger than my right wrist. It also doesn't feel right to reel with my left hand, I hate it.

JLE-

Most of the reel companys make thier better selling reels in both right hand and left hand retrieve.

My answer for you is, do what feels most confortable to you.. Do not let what works best for others determine how you fish. Buy a left hand retrieve reel, it sounds like the best option for you!

I agree with wormburner. I used to fish baitcasters with right handed retreive but have since swithed to left handed retreive because of convenience. I still have a couple of my old right handers that I use for throwing crankbaits, I taught myself to be able to cast with both hands but I am just not real accurate when using my left hand so that is why I stick with the left hand retreive.

It's odd. For baitcast reels I want the right hand. For spinning I want the left. Then I can switch back and forth to limit fatigue. I should get a left handed baitcast reel to learn how though.

Whichever feels more natural for you. Some that cast with the right hand like to flip with a left handed reel so that they don't have to switch hands after the cast.

I switch, cast right and reel with my right. I reel with my left on a spinning reel. Just the way I've always done it. All things being equal if it feels comfortable for you, I'd cast with my right and reel with my left for a baitcaster (or vice versa). It isn't a big deal either way really. I don't lose fish because I switched hands.

Maybe i'm just weird, but I always thought you were supposed to reel with your dominate hand. Thus, I always switch the handle to the right side for my spinning reels (thats all i use...).

One thing to take into consideration is the fact that left handed baitcasters are HARD to find...75% of the models out there don't offer left handed reels. For spinning reels it makes no difference because they are interchangable.

Comfort should be your deciding factor in the long run.

I have always used right handed baitcasters and left handed spinning, I tried a few years ago a left handed baitcaster for my flipping rod. The next year I switch back to right hand, The reason was because I could not crank a baitcaster as fast on the left as I do with the right, this is because I am right hand dominate, I also Naturally set the hook leaning to my right and it did not feel right with the left handed reel, If you don't mind losing a few fish in the process of teaching yourself the other way then go for it. AJ

All of the baitcasters I have bought in the last few years are left handed reels. I now have both.

It did take some time to get used to the left hand crank, but I feel it gives me a slight advantage when pitching or flipping. Because I always pitch/flip or cast with my right hand I can settle in on the reel quicker.

I found it easier to switch to reeling with my left hand then to cast with it. Just my personal preference.

I bought a left handed Curado a couple of weeks ago. I just got back from Alabama where I tested it for the first time. Anyone want to buy a new curado smile.gif? I could not get used to reeling left handed, which is weird because I have no problems with that on a spinning reel. I lost several bass before I just put it down.

I was thinking about getting a baitcaster to try. How much do ya want for it? I have heard these are good reels but havnt been able to get a look at them yet.