• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping BASS Dillemma

huskiesplayer15

I had made a post in the BWCA post about what your favorite lure was for catching smallies. It soon turned in to people talking about keeping these big bass too. I realize evryone is entitled to there opinions and keeping versus releasing the fish. Many people have even went to the extreme to say that bass are pests and people should keep em all to help the ecosystem. So what do you guys do when you catch a trophy? What we have done was take a couple pictures and get a measurement and release them. Is it right to keep trophy smallies or bucketmouths just to clean and eat? I have personally never kept one and dont intend to ever intend to. Check the post out if you want.
Best Fishes
Chris

I have heard (although I can't prove it)that eating bass will cause your lower unit to fall off therefore making kids impossible.
Consuming smallmouth bass has been known to cause lost of speech and lost of common sense.
Poaching bass and over limit is also highly discouraged for health reasons.

Thanks for your post huskiesplayer15
I was just reading a thread titled [The Basspoacher Strikes again] and some of their attitudes made me sick. It seems some people come on the internet and pretend they are fisherman when in reality they are just bottom feeders. A real Bass fisherman respects the laws. The laws are made and enforced for a reason but the bottom feeders feel that they are above the law and feel they have to do such things to make up for their lack of talent. Catching Bass or any other species of fish when the season is closed is called PRACTICE FISHING. And I am not talking about catching them by accident. People who catch and kill trophy size fish are not fisherman they are freezer stockers and bottom feeders and don't respect the sport of Bass fishing.

------------------
Fishin's the fun part catchin them is a bonus!
((TIP) "Turn In Poachers"
1-800-652-9093
24 Hours a Day_365 Days a Year

[This message has been edited by Buzzer (edited 03-01-2004).]

Amen Buzzer! mad.gif I could not agree more. on the Basspoacher posts. Attitudes like that ruin it for the rest of the law abiding citizens.

On keeping smallie trophies... Think about how old the average trophy probably is. Your talking in the neighborhood of 14 here in the Miss, and probably in the range of 18 to 20 in the BWCA. Now I don't have a problem harvesting any species of fish, including smaller bass(as long as it's in season of course) but, think about bioaccumulation of any chemicles..... The flesh does not do well when cooked, etc, etc. I say take a picture, get the measurments, let someone else have the opportunity and priveledge to catch a nice fish.

I only visit two forums on here, and one is the duluth - bwca, and this one, the thing with duluth area, is I think 90% of them are walleye guys for the simple fact that if you mention Bass, it usually doesn't get to be a very big thread. I live in duluth, and a guy that works in our shop was up in the ely area, and caught a 5 pound LM, and kept it for a meal, (I'm not quite sure why, but it really ticks me off!)and he doesn't even like fish! I guess some people just fish for different reasons than I do, I would much rather catch a couple real nice Bass, and release them to watch them swim off, and know someday that another angler would catch those fish, and have a blast like I did!
Overall, if people are gonna keep any fish for a meal, I think they should take a few of the smaller fish, no matter what the species, I'm probably rambling on here, but I think you'll get my drift!!!!

------------------
Good Luck To All, Wormburner!
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit!

I'M ALL FOR CATCH AND RELEASE. AND I STONGLY FOLLOW IT WITH EVER THING I FISH FOR...

BUT WHAT IF A NICE BASS GETS HOOKED IN THE GILLS. I KNOW IT DOESN'T HAPPEN THAT MUCH. BUT WHAT IF IT DID AND ITS BLEEDING REALLY BAD, THAT FISH MIGHT DIE ANYWAY. THEN WHAT DO WE DO KEEP IT??

If the fish isn't going to make it and that's plan as day (floating upside down)then keeping it for whatever purpose is probably a good idea.

Or put it back as turtle food. I think that may be illegal, but not too sure.

First off, I don't eat bass or pike. And I've released a couple nice bass over the last two years that I knew wouldn't make it. I figured that turtles and other organisms could take advantage of my fishing mishaps vs taking the thing home and chucking it in the trash. That stuff happens when your a C&R fisherman, a loss here or there is no real big deal, just one of those things that comes with the sport. Now, if you are constantly gut hooking bass, it maybe time to change your fishing tactics. If ya know somebody who would eat a bass, by all means take it home and give it to them.

Now on to the Basspoacher subject. I caught a largemouth, pike, bluegill, crappie, and a tullibee thru the ice last weekend. I was only targeting the panfish as I'm sure Basspastor and friends were doing when they got into a bonus bass or two. Just wait until you see some of those guys pitching large spinnerbaits and 6" rubber worms "crappie fishing" once the open water season starts. Then you can start complaining about ethics and such.

So Buzzer what am I supposed to do? Abandon my productive weed flat that I can access and either not fish or strike out into far harder to reach or less productive areas trying to find a place where there are not Bass and Pike mixed in with the panfish? Sorry but on the lake I live on you will not find a place inhabited by panfish that does not have pike on it. And if you find bluegills I suspect the Bass are going to be mixed in with them just because of the way the lakes fish population is made up. That's just fishing not poor sportsmanship, duh.

EASY GUYS !!! yes the pastors post may seem like he is picking on the bass, but as he said , some of the lakes you will always get into the bass and northern while fishing for the panfish. yes it may seem like he is bragging a little heavy about the big bass. i have had the same problem. on many of the waters we fish just has the great a mix of fish in the same area. if he was using lures to target these fish; then ya i would really wonder. but i have caught many bass and a been bit off by pike while fishing with 2lb line and tiny ice jigs. if he returns these fish immediately ; to me that is just fishing. ya a person could go to a different lake, but if i have been doing well on panfish, i would stay there too. del

Ask Cyberfish if the Crappies I've been catching are nice, and there are a few nice sunnies down there.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with catching fish that are out of season provided that they are promptly released and not the "targeted" species whatever that means.

Yeah, you got some nice crappies, I wish I could have got some, all I could get was bass blush.gif and gills.
I think the problem was in what you named the thread, come on admit it , you were trying to stir the pot! tongue.gif I don't think anyone woulda cared that you caught some bass otherwise.
Mabye thats why that thread got raptured? grin.gif

I couldn't resist posting. I usually don't fish for bass but I have eaten some bass I caught out of the mississippi and they tasted great. Try it sometime. I am not sure how big they were maybe 2-3 lbs?. Fried them up like sunnies. If I am fishing for another species and I have enough for a meal, and happened to catch a bass its getting the filet knife. If its obviously a monster I would let it go, the same with other species as well. Sometimes I think people take C&R to an extreme, almost like they feel if they mention they are somehow more ethical and a better fisherman. I am all for C&R. If a guy wants to keep a limit of 6-7 lb bass well good for him too. Its not for everyone but some people like to eat them. Follow the rules and limits etc. Just use your heads. If your on a tiny lake well then you might want to let them go. If its a big lake or major river well then it isnt gonna hurt much. Do what you feel is right. Thats what I do anyway.

Good to know you catfish. It's good to hear someone with reason for a change. These one species wonders are just a touch over the top. Bass tastes fine. Most people don't cook it long enough. The fillets are usualy thicker. undercooking gives it any bad taste. All big fish no matter the species should be released. The arguments should be whats a big fish. And that's probably relative to any given body of water. Hence, slots.

Smallie_Hogger

Good post man. True that there is nothing more special about bass compared to other species. I guess it comes down to the fact that in my mind, I have just become obsessed with total C/R for bass, and when I see people tossing them in the livewell, it gets me bent a little.

Well, there probably are guys on the water catching and tossing walleyes back, and watching me toss walleyes in the livewell, and they think the same thing of me.
(Well, maybe thats a stretch)

You also have to think about it this way.. When I see someone catching and keeping bass, I'll bet 80% of the time that person either doesn't fish often enough or probably doesn't catch that many bass on a regular basis or maybe hardly ever catches much of anything at all! When that's the case, no problem buddy. But I'll bet that 95% of all AVID anglers that can catch their limit of bass on any given outing never keep one. And that's the way it should be. Personally I don't think I've kept a bass in 15 years. But everyone has their rights to do what the please within the limitations of the law. Small price to pay for being able to live and fish in a free nation.

Just my 2cents.

Ok, I practice catch and release most of the time. With bass all the time.... But, why is it that some anglers think it is against religuos beliefs to keep one??? What's the big deal?? Heck, they have ample opportunities to reproduce, inspite of our seasons not protecting spawing, most lakes have an abundance of the species even in the face of harvest. What is the big deal about keeping bass?? What makes bass more special that a redhorse, walley, crappie, sucker, carp. etc. Heck I am a life member of BASS, but I am not afraid to eat one. I obviously am not suggesting to harvest all you catch. I am just curious what y'alls thoughts are??
Whay are bass the "holy grail" of fish??

Stratosman, and others,
I am curious as to why an avid angler who could catch his limit of bass on any given outing shouldn't keep one or a limit? I don't know if I am an avid angler or not but I can usually catch a limit of catfish when I go out. I normally catch and release them but there are times when I show them the frying pan. How does that differ from doing the same with bass? What makes bass the C&R "poster boy"? I guess what I am looking for is why do people have the notion that bass should be released. Why is it generally frowned upon to keep bass? On a side note what about rockbass. I was always told they are dirty and should never be eaten. I would love to try them. Has anyone eaten a rockbass lately?

Cyb and I had Rock Bass this winter. Tastes like chicken.

Actually it tasted like panfish. I had rock bass in the mid summer and it was the worst fish I've ever eaten. Cold water makes everything good.

Rock bass taste great, but are less filling smile.gif
really rockbass are good any time of the year, if you can get past the parasites they often get. BP, all fish taste bad if you leave them in a bucket of warm water all day, yuk! :P

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}}("< ---><!>

Buzzer,

Have faith. Notice how the basspastor posts have been disappearing lately? I think that speaks volumes.

Speaking of which, started a great book last evening that I would recommend to all. Called "Poachers Caught" by Tom Chapin, a former CO in Itasca County. I read the first 6 chapters last evening and did not want to put it down. Really puts unethical behavior in perspective.

One story was about deer poachers. A local woman was telling the CO about poaching in her area. The CO was run off the road on his motorcycle by a jeep and he followed the trail of the vehicle on his bent up bike. Eventually caught the guy and his partner with a out of season deer. Story over? No, two years later this woman informants husband went out to investigate some shots he heard on their property. He never was found despite three weeks of a very active search.

Puts poachers and unethical behavior in perspective.

As far as bass, sometimes I do keep them. But it has to be out of cold water. I do not have a problem with anyone keeping fish other than 2 species. And those two species are sturgeon and muskies. If the meat does not go to waste, that is the persons right. However, if you are part of the overharvest problem, then you have no right to complain about the fishing.

I also hope I never keep a smallie either. In the past year, I have caught 28" catfish, a 26" walleye, and a 45" sturgeon. But the best fight I had was on a 17 inch smallie on a river that I fought in the current and watched put on an aerial show. The most aggressive bite I witnessed was a smallie bonanza last June when you could not miss them. Smallies are the best.