• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Under $100 rod preferences

gspman

Hi folks,
I can't spend $150 on a rod but I can stomach $100 or less and maybe pick up 2 rods. I can think of several makers of rods under $100... St. Croix, Falcon, Cabelas, Gander Mtn, Galyans, Bass Pro, Rapala, and the list goes on.
What are your opinions and experiences on good spinning and cranking rods for under $100 for bass and/or walleye? I'm looking at sensitivity, durability, warranty, and all-round use.
Thanks.
gspman

ps. I posted this in the walleye forum too.

I have all Bass Pro rods and really like them. I have 3 bionic blades, 2 extremes, and a crankin' stick. I like them all a lot and they have lasted me for sveral years so I would recommend them. But since I have really no comparison to any other manufacturers, you should listen to other advise as well.
I'm basically in the same situation as you are as I am getting a new spinning combo this spring. I think I'm going to spend anywhere from $100-150, and I am looking for something different than BPS rods. Right now I am leaning to a Fenwick or a St. Croix Avid.

Coach Dog

------------------
GIT-R-Done!

If you are looking for a deal you might want to try out Gander and pick up one of their walleye rods from last year. I think they are running $40 from $75 or something like that. They look pretty decent. Look around for the deals this time of year. They are popping up everywhere.

I was told that there are three companies that make the rod blanks for everyone.

In anycase, I like St. Croix and for cheap but tough I like Shakespere Intrepid (about 40 and way mis-spelled)

I saw those deals at Ganders all over the metro for the last 3+ weeks. I'm not sure what the stock is going to look like but they seemed to be hit or miss depending on which location you go to, but you should still check it out. As mentioned above, they are the guide-walleye series with fuji guides and they had a bunch in both casting and spinning setups in the med-l/med./med-hv 6'6'' to 7'0'' range

coachdog- you are somewhat correct. Shimano Corp did in fact buy out G-loomis. And some of the Shimano rods are/were being made at the loomis plant in Washinton state. But Shimano has been making their own rods for quite some time.. The only rod as far as I know that Shimano had made was the V-Rod(i could be way wrong on this one so please dont quote me) The V-rod is now discontinued... The Compre(IM8) is now thier top of the line($79-$89) The Clarus(IM7) is the mid range($59-$69) and the new Convergence(IM6) is their low end ($39-$49)... All of which have an over the counter Lifetime warrenty! Where they are made I do not know, i dont think its at the Loomis plant however... I think shimano is still trying to run these companies seperatly!

I'll second the fact that Shimano Compre's and Bass Pro has some nice rods, but I am a big St. Croix Avid fan. Occationally on hsolist an Avid will go for under $100 with shipping.

I have used the Bass Pro Shops Extreme series rods with 54 million modulus graphite. BPS's Bionic Blade is IM8 graphite and apparently Gander sells their own brand of IM8 rods normally for $75 based on an entry above.

The thing is, BPS has sales on these 54 million modulus Extreme rods from time to time with getting them for $59.99 when they are "regular" priced at $99.99. (Comparable 54 million modulus rods are around $100 as well). I put "regular price" in quotes because it seems like there is always a buy 2 rods, get a 3rd free or something like that. Check there web site under spring sale or clearance. Or even call them up and ask how to get an Extreme rod for the $59.99 price you saw once.

Anyway, the guides are fuji and light, nice cork handles, sensitivity of the rod is decent, and the rod is durable. The various actions i have used as well has been good too: 7ft spinning, 6'6 spinning, 6' spinning for a dock rod, flipping stick, 7' M/H for spinner baits, and a 7' Heavy action for jigging.

My point, this is probably one of the better rods you can get for $60 and those value conscious people. And one other thing, if something does go wrong with it, BPS will basically replace it with no questions, they are great with customer service.

(The reason why i bring this rod to the forum is that compared to the Avids, Loomis and other $125+ rods is that i would prefer to spend top money on the reel, that is what gets the most use for all the time on the water. There is a huge difference in durability with a $70 and $130 baitcasting reel with the rigorous amount of time they receive. With that said, i can have more quality rods, backed by a warranty, with high end reels.)

My two cents. Anyone else use these?

[This message has been edited by catchin'whopper (edited 03-01-2004).]

I also think the rods Rapala came out with have a good feel to them on the two higher priced models both of which go for under $100 I think.

Coach Dog-

Its really not a fair comparison, the Compre retails for 79-89 and the Avid i believe retails for about 120-150... its like comparing a Ford Focus to An F150? Not really but you get where I am going.

St.Croix doesnt lable thier rods with a Modulus rating so there is no way of really comparing them that way either. The Avid rods use the Fugi Concept guides.. The compre uses that spacing but uses the Harleloy guides(slightly heavier)... all in all the Avid is probably a little lighter, I cant tell you for sure if its going to be more sensitive or not. But you can almost buy 2 Compres to each Avid... The Avid is a very nice rod, I take nothing away from them... St.Croix is a great rod company and also has a great warrenty program. I just prostaff for Shimano and can tell you about them. I use the Compre rods and have been very pleased with them!

Let me first say that I am on the Shimano prostaff....so I may be a tad biased...

The Shimano Compre series of rods retail for $79-$89...They have the fugi conept spacing with hardeloy guides, are an IM8 Graphite, and fugi reel seat. They come with a lifetime over the counter warrenty. Another words if you break it bring it in to any shimano dealership and they will exchange your broken rod for a new one... No other company stands behind thier equipment like shimano does!

Bass Pro Shops has a catalog deal on their IM-8 graphite rods going right now. I think they are the Bionic Blade rods. At any rate, they're buy 2, get one free. I picked up a 7' medium heavy, 7' medium light, and a 6' light action. They're about $80 each, so you get 3 pretty decent rods for $160. $80 for an IM-8 rod isn't a good price, but the 3-for-2 deal isn't bad.

ExudeDude,
Did the Compre always have IM8 graphite in it or is that new for this year? I have a 3 year old Compre rod and do like it, but when I called Shimano to determine what type of graphite is in it, they always gave me the run around.
gspman

Exudedude,
Are Shimano rods basically the same as G-Loomis? I heard Shimano bought G-Loomis last year and Shimano then introduced a new line of rods, made in the same facility as the G-Loomis rods.

Coach Dog

------------------
GIT-R-Done!

I have the Compres and Avids and there is no comparison. I picked up the Compres for $40 on sale, so at that price they were a LOT cheaper and I didn't expect it to be of the quality of an Avid. The Avid is a far better rod for sure, but you are paying more too.

I own the avid and the compre rods and do agree that they both are nice but have had problems with the rods breaking on me. I went through four avids last year alone. I have never broke that many rods in my life up til that point. I would have to say that my favorite rod for less that $100 would be the falcon lowrider series. They have some tremendous backbone and great sensativity to go with it. They stand by their warranties real good also. Just my thoughts on the subject. I think that when you get into the 75 dollar range or higher you are getting a good peice of equipment and the more you pay the better the graphite and warranty will be.