• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallmouth location

Fish Head

I would like to take my son smallmouth fishing. Where are some places that have a good smallmouth population without going too far north? I know Mile Lacs has some big ones and I have heard that the Mississippi north of St. Cloud has a nice population too. Any other areas?

The river, anywhere North of the cities, is some of the best Smallie fishing in the country from what I've heard(I've only fished here and it is really good). You didn't say if you were using a boat or not, but if you do there are some areas to avoid. With a boat/outboard, try between Coon Rapids and Anoka. If you Canoe or have a jet boat try Elk River, Otsego, Monticello or Becker. There's good shore fishing in Becker, Monti, and Elk River. Lot's of rocks everywhere. Cast spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, or soft plastics behind every rock and you're guaranteed to catch smallies.

Hope this helps.

I can't speak from personal experience, but I understand that Lake Pepin is also another excellent choice for smallies. There are a number of streams around the Rochester and SE MN area where you can teach your junior fisherman the thrill of wet wading for smallies.

------------------
Lew

For lakes that's not too far away you hit the nail on the head with MilleLacs. Tons and tons of big smallies.

I know I'll get heat here, but use a leech and bobber on the rock piles marked by the bouys. Make sure you use circle hooks though. Then when that bobber goes under your son can just start reeling and fish on. You may also catch a nice walter.

Otherwise typical smallie lures (tubes, jigs, topwater, cranks, jerkbaits, etc..)if you're into the sport of it. Depends on how old your son is. And you'll need a good sized boat.

The river is another good choice to. Minnesota rocks for smallie water.

Much closer to the metro is the Rum River - launch at Anoka Fairgrounds and go either way for some excellent smallmouth fishing.

Below the Anoka dam where the river pours into the Mississippi is supposed to be good too.

Daze Off

I should have mentioned in my original post that I do have a boat. I have never taken my boat out on a river before. I am always a little concerned about low areas, rocks, current and things floating down the river. Does Gander Mtn. or Thorne Bros. have a good map of rivers? Where can I launch a boat north of St Cloud? Thanks for all the help Guys!

The reason why Ebass asks is that you may have a problem with boat access on a river if you have a larger/heavy boat. A lot of the river stretches on the 'sippi north of the metro can wreck havoc on your boat with low areas and BIG rocks! This last fall I was up on the monti stretch and saw a couple guys wading out to almost mid-river and the water was only up to their knees.

You might want try Pool 2 or Pool 4. Pool 4/Lake Pepin is a great spot for smallies and you can take any boat out there. There is river stretches and main lake structure... and from my understanding you can fish these waters year round if you are looking for early waters.

If you are not comfortable on a river or with Mille Lacs' size, Green Lake by Spicer would be a good option. It's about the same drive as Mille Lacs and has lots and lots of fish with big ones too. Fish rocks or sand bottom with sparse rocks. The north and east ends have lots of these areas. The fish really school up on this lake in the spring and fall on the breaks so fishing can be quite good, even better than Mille Lacs, in my opinion. Always watch for the fish that use your boat as shade. They are catchable with tubes.

There's nothing wrong with pocket bass from downtown!

There are certains areas that you can fish with a big V-hull, which would be pool 2 on south. Above any dams have deeper water in front of them. Like above Coon Rapids dam up to the 169 bridge is safe. The Rum River is safe for about 2 miles, mostly sand though. But if your boat is big enough to handle MilleLacs go there.

Rivers are way fun to and hold a lot of smallies. But you'll need a nice trolling motor and good boat control. It's not hard, just have to pay attention. There are plenty of times I've been pushed into a tree or something. LOL, but it's worth it when that 19" smallie is on.

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 02-25-2004).]

My boat is fairly deep for a 16ft boat and I am comfortable with Mile Lacs. From what I'm hearing, it sounds like its not a great idea to take the boat on the river North of St. Cloud. However you guys have given me some good options in addition to my original idea of Mile Lacs. Rum River, Lake Pepin area, St Criox and Green Lake.

I already have trips booked to Lake of the woods and Lac Seul for this summer. But it will be nice to be able to make day trips somewhere for smallies.

Fish Head, you still can go above St Cloud. There are some spots/areas that you could fish and not worry about banging rocks. Ask the fellas on the upper sippi forum. Like Nav, Kevin Turner, and whom ever else travels that section. I haven't been on Green lake but I've heard the stories. Mille Lacs is proven time and time again. Plus it's catch and release only so that helps. How old is your son?

I would recommend putting in at Anoka and fishing between the 169 bridge and the Coon Rapids Dam with your boat. I went there for the first time last July and caught a bunch of nice smallies on Buzz Baits and Crankbaits. It's deep(6+ ft) on that whole stretch so you don't have to worry about rocks. North of there to St. Cloud is another story.

My son is 11 (he will be 12 this summer). I have been to Mile Lacs for smallies once. I only caught a few, but they were all big. I might try near Anoka too.

Where can you get a good map of the rivers?

My boat is a 16ft with a 60hp outboard. It sounds like fishing the river north could be a problem then? Maybe I should focus on Mile Lacs and the Lake Pepin Area.

By the way- Smallies are allways catch and release.

Check out the "river maps" thread on the Mississippi River North Forum. It basically says that there aren't any reliable maps (depth wise), especially north of the citys. There are a couple of different maps at Cabela's that will provide some info.

Fish head.
You might avoid the stretch of miss between Dayton and St. Cloud with your boat. But, upstrewam of St. Cloud and Sartell there are "reservoir like" sections of the river that you can do well in. Above St. Cloud on the East side is Wilson Park. With your boat there should be about 3-4 miles of reservoir to fish. Upstream of Sartell, there are several landings, check the DNR Prim map or county access maps. As far as lakes go, often overlooked smallmouth populations are in Locke, Buffalo, Cokato and Fish lakes (all Wright County). Give it a try and let us know how you do. I have seen and caught some really nice smallies from these lakes.
I will have to admit though, I bought a jet for a reason.... to get away from the lake traffic and on to the fish.... enough said grin.gif