• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Has anyone fished any of the small trout lakes in the area? I do a lot of trout fishing in lakes in the month of october, in MN. Just wondering how the fall bite is on these small lakes? From what I've gathered, they don't seem to stock them with a lot of trout, and they only do it in the spring, so I guess I'm curious to know if they get fished out right away, or if there are some hold overs?

JB, wish I could help you, but I've never fished any of the trout lakes. I do know that they fish for trout on Perch Lake in St. Croix County. I've fished for panfish there but not trout. Should be good though, as it's clear and deep.

I like the idea of perch lake being electric motors only. I tried to fish Clarey Lake last fall, but the access was high and dry. I ended up fishing Lower Pine Lake instead, but would later find out the DNR had stopped stocking trout in there a few years ago crazy Was still a nice bass lake though.

There used to be another great small trout lake in the area, but the past few years has been really slow. I heard the stocking program was cut waayyyyy back during the recession/shut down days and don't know if it has picked back up since.

I used to fish it a lot and took home a couple limits a year....... But there was always guys taking a limit home every time they fished it, so by the end of the season there was hardly any fish left in it. Never bothered me because the DNR put the fish in the lake well knowing people were going to keep them. It was a true put and take lake, like many other trout lakes across the state.

They used to dump a few big breeders in there too. A 20" rainbow on 2lb test through the ice was beyond fun smile

B-Man,

I believe I know the little lake you are talking about as it is just north of our cabin. The DNR is generally putting between 1500-3000 rainbows in the lake each year. Most are yearling but they always put in a about 100 brood stock into the lake as well. You can check the WI fish stocking database for specifics.

I haven't personally fished the lake in a few years but my neighbor hits it a few times a year and generally catches a few fish.

We used to stop by the access in the spring and would frequently watch some of the big trout chasing around the smaller trout in the shallow water. I have never caught one of the brood stock but I have tied into a couple. Definitely a blast on a fly rod.

WG

I gave Perch Lake a try this past saturday. Was the first time I was ever there. It's a nice little lake. I don't have WI trout lakes figured out though, as in when they get fished out. I didn't mark any fish at all. Saw 1 little sunny caught. Fished from 3 to 43 ft. I did lose what I assume was a trout on a deadstick. Is this a spring fed lake? Ice was only 10 inches thick.