• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crankbait and worm colors

bucketmouth64

With the enormous amounts of color selections for baits I was wondering what colors usually bassin guys stick with? I look thru my arsenol and I find mainly fire tiger, and crawfish cranks, black and pumkinseed worm. What other colors work that should be included in ones arsenol?

On Cranks for Bass, I think I prefer Bluegill Shades (bluegill,blue,or green), Crawfish Shades (Red & Brown & Gold) and something Chartruese. If I am fishing somewhere with Shad than white and silver.

Plastics I am all over the map. However for my go to Plastic the Zoom Super Fluke. My favorite color is BubbleGum because of the visibility, than Pearl, on sunny days anything with a sparkle does well.

Hi all,

I am not a major crankbait fisherman but I do like the firetiger / chartreusse when I fish stained water. I have also seen some do well with more natural colors (perch, bass, & bluegill type colors) in some instances.

As far as soft plastic colors, I mainly start with colors that match the water color ... pumpkin & watermelons (in clear water) and black/blue in stained water.

In more clear water, I try to stick more with a more natural color scheme with cranks and switch to a tight wiggle instead of the wide woble. I usually try to stick with lipless cranks in clear and go with wiggle warts and other lipped baits in stained water.

I find that there are always exceptions but I usually start with what I've shown above and try to go from there.

Just my $0.02

FlipR70

I always use white as much as possible in my crankbaits, and sometimes with a bit of black on the back, and for worms, they are heard to find but my fav color is root beer with an orange tail

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.

hmmmm. for cranks i very from blue gill, fisre tiger,white, to a blue and crome. depends on water etc. for plastics. we use alot of black and blue, teqiula(?), root beer, and black and purple flaked. del

He really has a talent, I've always wanted to try and do that but it would end up looking like my kindergartners finger paints. I'm sure there is a lot of practice in doing that, does he just use a standard air brush, or a more expensive set up? They look great! Does he start off by painting them white as the base, and then build from there?

[This message has been edited by wormburner (edited 02-19-2004).]

Wormburner-

Your base coat actually depends on what you want your final product to look like. You need to use a primer and that is usually white we use Gesso... From there your base is your lightes color. On the two I posted, a off white closer to a yellow was used as a base. That was airbrushed on. The air brush is a 2 stage, but I know a lot of people that just use a 1 stage. He then also uses a brush to apply paint as well. Hard to say how much time is in each bait. But you have a little more confidence throwing a bait that you know that nobody else has thrown. The top coat(my job) is a table top clear coat called Envirotex Lite. If you mix glitter with the clear coat you will get an effect like on the norman expensive baits. Painting cranks is a fun hooby to have when our lakes are covered with ice~