• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insight on a Tracker ProJet

fish'n 4 fun

Anyone use or have any knowledge on Jet boats. I have an opportunity to purchase one for next to nothing. My argument is that Im using the trolling motor 90% of the time, so I just need to get across the lake. It has to be step up from the Lund Im fishing out of right now. Just a little leary because you dont see them much around here, but I here they're great on rivers. Any info would be great!!

From what I hear, a jet boat is not very good for lakes because of the weeds. If you run into a patch of weeds it basically sucks it right into the jet and it gets clogged and you have to get out (or in the water) to unclog it. That is why it is so good for the rivers because most rivers = no weeds and jets can basically plane out the boat and can run in inches of water versus a prop boat that need A LOT more clearance. For that reason jets can get to many spots on the river that a prop can't.

So just ask yourself what kind of fishing do you normally do? If it's a lake, probably not a good idea, if you're on the river most of the time, jump on the offer! And if end up not getting the jet... let me know. If it's dirt cheap I might want to take a look at it grin.gif because i'll be spending a lot of time on the river this year!!!

My guess is that if you are careful and know the bodies of water you are running that you wouldn't have problems unless the lakes are extra weedy. Don't start up the jet until you are free of emergent matted veg and avoid area's where you have to extended running over such.

The Lake I live on is so weedy with Curly Cabbage and other junk weeds and rice that it will bog down outboards constantly. On this kind of lake probably not a good idea.

Yep, I got an '03 model. Only had it since Sept. If it runs good, it's a great buy. I've used mine on a couple of lakes and haven't had any problems with weeds so far. I think as long as you don't idle or start up in a thick patch you'll be OK. Most of the time when I fish lakes I just zoom across to where I'm going and use the trolling motor to get around the weedy areas.

Those things are great on the river. Practically the only way to get upstream once the river gets low.

Once you tangle with those Mississippi Smallies, you'll forget about those lakes anyway.

You can email me if you want any more info.

[email protected]

BigMike,
Thanks for the info. My source will take 3 grand for it(which includes, trolling motor, electronic, trailer, tarp...all of which I think are factory) Id like to use it for primarily lake fishing...bass fishing. So, like I said it has to be more user friendly the piece of dump Lund I have. Clogging with weeds is the main complaint I have heard as well.