• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

You're Big Time Bass Lure

EBass

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear a lot of votes for the jig and pig on this topic. I just jumped on that bandwagon last year after being a die hard texas rig fan. This year I am on a mission to conquer the Senko-type lures, I seem to find something new each year that works. One lure that I laughed at for years but finally tried, and was very successful with, is "The Worm". I am almost embarrassed to say it but it produced more fish for me last year than my faithful texas rigged 7" worm. Oh yeah, I also always have a topwater on one of my rods, sometimes a spot looks too perfect to pass up on a cast with a popper or buzzer!
Great topic, I hope to see a bunch more responses!
~Dan

seems appropriate to fire this one up again.

1. buzzbait (just can't beat a buzzer when they are active)

2. Yum Dinger (caught the 6 pounder in my Avatar on one)

3. jig-n-pig (really learning to like this)

My favorite big fish bait is a 6" creature bait, caught a 6.70 lb largemouth last year and won 3 club tournaments with it. For numbers of fish its hard to beat a senko type bait. They can be texas rigged, skipped under docks, carolina rigged, etc.

Gary Yammamoto Hula Grub, pearl/blue fleck with a 1/8 stand-up owner jig. this kills them all times of the year.

love the buzzer and spinner baits

storm sub wart for shallow or when the wedds are high but not on the surface

fatrap 7 is a killer crank for me

This can be used at anytime during the year. I usually work them on the deep weedlines but they are effective when pitching docks, brush, slop, etc. However, try not to make a huge spalsh when pitching in shallower waters. Tip the jig with a matching pork rind or your favorite plastic chunks. Two go to lures in the Mid-west are green pumpkin and the never fail black and blue. I heard white can be deadly and will be adding that to my arsenal this year. Work it as you would a jig when fishing walleyes. Vary the retrieve back to the boat. You can hop it, drag it, or swim it. One thing is to be patient when fishing this presentation and slowly learn to gain confidence in it. Being a topwater fisherman this presentaion may seem boring and uneffective at first try. Your son or fishing partner can hammer 2-3 pound bass all day but don't give up on it. This is a big fish presentation so when you latch into that 4-5-6 pound bass your fishing partner will be left scrathcing his head!

Nobody has mentioned the Hula Popper yet? This is probably my favorite lure. It has a high hooking percentage and I've caught all my biggest fish on this lure. I also like using a spinner bait but for early morning and late evening the hula popper is my favorite.

I also really like the weedless frogs that Strike King makes, I am not sure if they make them anymore. I didn't hook as many with this lure until I started putting a trailer hook on them.

It took me a while to get into the jig and pig combo but I have learned over the past few year that you WILL get big fish if you have the patience to use it. I like to tip them with a Uncle josh pork strip or a craw. If you want to gain confidence in jig and pigs use them in a lake that is loaded with bass and use them during prime time. It is tough to gain confidence if you only throw them when nothing else works.

My other big fish bait is a Northland Buzzbait. I have caught more 4 lb. plus bass on that than any other lure in my box.

I had a solid white plastic tri-wing buzzbait I got off a rack at trails end. Lost it though. Pulled alot of fish on it. I modified it by putting a trailer hook on it secured with another white skirt. Worked great. Also love my Timber Tigers, best crankbait ever designed. Oh yeah Strike King flippin' tubes - Mustard

With a thread this old... it should have been started fresh again.. not dredged up from the past.. I'm sure many of those 2004 posters have changed their opinions. Feb 2004? I hadn't even begun fishing yet!.. and now have two long summers behind me.