• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite jig/rig for pitching pockets in weeds

Lunker

As kind of a follow up question to my previous post on fishing heavy/dense cover, what are some of your favorite presentations, jig types, rig types when you are pitching to pockets in heavy or not so heavy weeds? Just trying to see what the best stuff would be to make sure I am stocked up on the good stuff smile.gif.

I'll have to agree with ChrisR71, I too have been using Picasso's Spider jig with great results (thought I was the only one). I think they have of the best product available and realativley unheard of to the masses. I use the heavier jigs with Zoom's swimmin' chunk, double legged trailer. Those trailers have remarkable action and a fairly small profile to allow punchin' through the 'foil or falling in the slightest openings. Coupled with Falcon's 7'2" Cara, a Curado, and PowerPro you're good to go...better than this below zero weather!!!

I prefer an OutKast Pro-Staff jig. It has a bullet shaped design also with a stand-up style. It uses 5/0 Mustad Ultra Point hook in either Wide Gap or X-Strong Flippin. Best of all, it is lead free, lower profile than lead. I couple this with a 7'6" H Fenwick Techna AV matched up with a Abu Torno 3004HSi spooled with 25lb. Trilene Big Game or 50lb. Spider Stealth.

I like the Strike King Pro Model jig with a zoom super chunk trailer. Color the claws on the trailer with a spike it pen. Works great. I've used the Picasso jigs that the other guys are talking about, but I have not had as good a luck with them. In my experience the hook tends to bend out. But I haven't used them for a few seasons, so maybe they are better now.

I have not found a jigging/Pitch/Flip combo that I am really happy with and jigging is not my strong suit though I have caught fish some nice fish that that way. I need to get better at this type of fishing. I think a big thing about successful flippin and pitching is a raised casting deck and good trolling motor, in other words a seviceable bass rig and I don't really have that.

Probably the main way I catch fish on a jig is using it behind a Snagproof frog on bass that blow up and miss. For this I use a Team Diawa reel, St.Croix Avid 7'10" Heavy Flippen Stick and whatever jig or tube I happen to have on that day and was on sale at Gander Mountain.

I just got a 6'6"MH St. Croix Avid that will probably see lots of jig fishing this year.

There are a lot of opinions on jig/pigs. I think there are a lot of good jigs on the market. My personal favorite is the picaso spider jig. They are not as popular as the mass marketed jigs but I catch a lot of big bass on them.

There is a lot of talk about the types of heads on jigs these days. In my fishing, the most important feature of a jig is the hook size. If it is not at least 5/0, I will not use it (unless it is a tiny jig but we are talking about big jigs here).

The picaso jigs I use have a 5/0 hook and also have a long shank so the hook stands up very tall. My personal favorite for heavy weeds is a 3/4 oz. black/blue jig.

I use the Gander Mt. heavy flipping stick with 30 pound power pro and a high speed curado. This works well for me.

It's good to think about flipping and pitching while it is 16 below outside!

I think everyone can agreee on heavy rod to get these bad boys up out of the Junlge. I got a couple 7'6" G. Loomis Imx flipping Sticksby far the lightest most powerful rod that I have used in my opinion.

I'd like to see them make it with out the extension handle just a one piece rod that doesn't telescope out it would make it even lighter.

keep your eyes open for the new Grass Jig by All-Terrain I had a chance to fish some of these new jigs late last fall very impressive design. I think guys that are fishing the thick milfoil or any thick junk will get hooked on these. The eyelite is coming straight off the top of the bullet shaped head allowing the jig to fall straight down. The jig does not cling to weeds at all being doesn't have the forward placed eye.

I think you will be able to get them up to a 1.5 ounce weight.

Just makes me want to go fishing chatting about bass fishing.

Theres alot of good jigs on the market but I like any other fisherman wants the best equipment for every stituation and I know I just addded something to mine for fishing the junk.

------------------
Trophy Guides
Northeast Outfitters
Cory Putnam
320-808-7722 Cell
320-763-9598 Work

I too love the Picasso jigs.

Not being as refined or experienced as many of you all at throwin' in the stuff for Bass(I really don't have a proper rig, and I usually fish from shore), I never-the-less remarked to my fishing companions this summer that this new jig I had purchased didn't seem to pick up the junk that my other jigs did, and it reached deeper into the holes. Examining the head further revealed the reason, no raised eye to catch weeds. I love it.

Like ChrisR71 said, hook size and shank length may be more important considerations, but for me, I noticed the advantage of the shaped head more.

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

I like the Strike King Pro model or the All Terrain. But I did have great success last year with a 3/4 oz. gambler rattle sinker and a large Yum tube on a 4/0 hook. The trick was to peg the sinker, but do the pegging with a neoprene bobber stop ( the large size) that would normally be used for slip bobber fishing. I fished this rig thru some unbelievable stuff with no hang-ups or weeds hanging on...

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com