• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SLOW DEATH RIG

I have never fished with a slow death rig but bought some slow death hooks this last weekend and am looking forward to trying them. I bought 2 different sizes.

What is the best way to rig them, how long of leader, type of line used, spinner and beads or just bare hook?

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

I rig mine with a 6-8 ft leader and a bead. Thread half a crawler,(gulp crawler works well too) and pull with a bottom bouncer of three way rig .7-1.5 mph.

At times it'll work like nothing else and other times not so much.

I like a # 2 for size on a 4-6 ft mono leader with a bead most of the time.For me it's a 1-2 oz bouncer usually & anywhere from .5-1.5 mph.A crank or 2 off bottom with a 1/2 a crawler & good to go.I'm really want to give it shot with a spinner too.

Here are a couple of vids that should give you an idea how to set these up and the theory behind them.

I typically run mine with a single bead of varying colors above the hook. I've also used a Smile Blade from Mack's Lure above the hook and that works too. My advice is to run it naked (the lure, not you wink ) until you get the hang of how it is supposed to work and then start experimenting with beads, blades, etc. It'll payoff in the long run.

Gulp Alive Killer Crawlers are handy to use instead of real crawlers and I've had good success with them. Good luck!

Thanks everyone.

I didn't get out as much this weekend as I had hoped but I did go Friday night and used a slow death rig the I made quick. I couldn't get the Sunfish to leave it alone long enough to see if any walleyes would bite on it so I went to deeper water and the Sunfish were even in 30 fow. I gave up and went back to pulling cranks lol. looking forward to trying it again soon.