• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canada with Kids

You will also need a note from your son's mother saying she is aware you are taking him to Canada. It needs to include the dates you will be crossing the border. This needs to be notarized.

I'm not certain what you will need for your son's buddy but I'm pretty sure it will be similar/same to what you need for your son.

The best way to get the question answered is to call the border crossing where you intend to cross.

Yes a note would be a good idea. I cross the border almost every weekend with my kids and have not been asked about a note i have been asked if i have permission from the mother. Also you can call the candian customs and they will tell you if there is any other thing you would need.

I went through all of this years ago. Yes to what everyone else has said, bring notes from the other parents and a certified copy of their birth certificates and you'll be fine. The only other thing I might add is the customs officer may ask the boys directly if their mother is aware of the trip. They shouldn't be afraid to answer.

More importantly is having fun while you're away and make it a memorable trip. When my boys where that age they loved the evening campfire. They also liked Cyalume SnapLight sticks in various colors with strings to hang around their neck, in a tent, or in their sleeping bag. Take pictures, but consider getting each of them their own throw away camera so they can take their own shots. If you'll be near a lake or river, an underwater throwaway camera was always fun back in the day for my boys. Put all the photos into an album when you return, it's something you can all reminisce about years down the road. Because of the late spring and all the rain the bugs are terrible this year in Canada, so bring plenty of bug bomb. As always, the weather can change by the hour in Canada so pack accordingly. Beyond that, favorite foods and drinks and plenty of them go a long way to making a trip enjoyable. Outdoor books on identifying birds, trees and mammals that they see on the trip are fun and educational at the same time. Finally, give your self a pat on the back for being the guide for two boys by opening up to them the wonderful world of outdoor adventure. It's a gift that will truly last them a lifetime.