• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seward in August

I read the earlier posts about Seward in May. I just booked my flight to go to Seward early-mid August. Anything different you would recommend for August? Any thoughts on who to use for charter fishing, what to fish for, where to stay, etc.?

I couldn't tell you much about charters, but when I was there camping in early into mid-August several years ago the stream fishing for silvers/cohos was incredible with spinning tackle and in-line spinners, right in the campground along the river we stayed at. By the time I was done, I was tired of catching them and my wrists were sore. I never did pay any attention to the name of the small river, but you should have abundant opportunities to stake out on your own if interested. A charter would be good too.

Silvers should be in full swing and can be caught in the river in seward and also right off the beaches. things to use would be vibraxes, crank baits, and spoons. for crank baits you can use any type really but i tend to lean towards fairly big wiggle warts and kwikfishes (basically a big lazy ike). If you take a charter you could do a combo trip where you could get your silvers almost guaranteed and then go out for your halibut. I have heard good things about cracker jack outfitters

What river are you guys talking about, the Resurrection? Salmon fishing in the fresh water tribs always used to be illegal back a bunch of years ago. I know recently they are allowing some Red fishing where the Resurrection dumps into the bay but I haven't heard of any silvers. Just curious in case I get back to my old stompin grounds in August.

+1 to that. We were scheduled to fish with them earlier this month, but the weather was snotty that day so we had to reschedule for the following day. Normally I would have been bummed as I'd waited a long time to fish with Crackerjack, but their "sister" operation is the ProFishNSea, who we'd actually fished with some years ago, and they're also top notch.

I would definitely be interested in knowing where we can catch silvers from shore. I have a son that is currently giving kayak tours of the Northwestern fjords through Miller's Landing. He says its awesome!

Cracker Jack won the Seward halibut tourney with a 312 pounder this year! I believe it's the resurrection river but you can fish the salt where it dumps in. I am sure if you went to the same spot you snag reds you could get silvers if you wade out to the tide line. Once the silvers are in i think any place where you could huck your lure out far could produce

Unfortunately I've been so darn busy I haven't had much time to book my fishing. Most charters are booked. I have 2 days of Halibut/Salmon combo trip booked with Miller's Landing. I'm also going to do a day of a kayak trip and zip lining with Miller's Landing. Any suggestions on a couple more days of fishing on short notice in Seward?

Check out Seward fish company, capt Randy is a good guy and his boat the "rogue" is awesome. Ask if he is he's doin any night trips- we crushed the butts and ling a couple years ago and rolled into the docks at 6 am with a overfull box including a couple 90lbers.

I just got back. What a great trip. I love Alaska! I went fishing on a charter with Chance Miller at Miller's Landing 2 days. I would highly recommend going out with Chance. We caught a few halibut, 2 were over 60 pounds. We caught lots of nice silver salmon and rock fish.

I had 1 day on the Kenai near Soldatna. We only landed 1 nice silver but caught some nice pinks that will be smoked.

We spent one day on a charter out of the Homer spit catching Halibut and rock fish. We caught mostly chickens. Had a great time, but I probably wouldn't put my recommendation on going out on the charter I used.

I can't wait to go back!