• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite topwater frog

basser

Anyone have any opinions on the best topwater frog? I have had my best luck it seems on the scumfrog brand. I would really like to use the Snagproof tourney frogs but I just cant seem to get the bites on them that I do with the scumfrog. And while on the subject what do you see as the best color? I seem to do my best with a chartruese,but it seems in the fishing mags guys seem to use either black or white only.

Guys--

i use the scum frog in all types of colors. Color does make a big difference. I have had many experiences where one color didn't work, and i went thru the same area with a totally different color, and they smashed it. Colors i prefer are white with red, white with green and black, pumpkin, clear with green and silver flake, black, chartreuse, and a few other special colors that are not available in minnesota. One trick that i like to do is slide the body toward the front or nose end, opening up the area where the hook is and insert 3-4 brass BB's into the hollow body , this adds a bit of weight and gives the lure a lot more sound which calls fish in from longer distance. I seen fish wake the frog from 10-15 feet away, and just smash it!!! I am also interested to see the new Tourney frog that they are coming out with, it is more like the snag-proof frog's legs or skirt, but we will see how it works. I love to fish the slop and i think this is the best way to do it, and not many people fish slop well!!!

fisher98

Fisher98, I see on scumfrogs HSOforum that there are many more colors than you see in the stores around here. Yeah, that Trophy series looks really good,I wonder if we'll be able to find them around here. I fish with a couple guys that all they use are frogs spring till fall , they may not get as many bites as me with my Senkos but 9 times out of 10 they have more weight. I need to do more this year with them. BLB, thanks for the tip,that is always the problem I have, not enough weight to really throw them back into the slop.

Out of curiousity, do you guys change the hooks on the scumfrog brand? They seem like really cheap hooks,but I've never been able to find replacement hooks for frogs.

[This message has been edited by basser (edited 01-09-2004).]

I'm a big Snag Proof Tournament Frog man myself. I just don't like the lack of weight in the Scum Frog's. A very important and often overlooked factor in slop fishing can be casting distance.

What do you people consider an acceptable hooking percentage with these type baits?
I would put my average hooking percentage between 60-70% and believe any day where you are above 50% than you are doing OK. Below 50% is very dissappointing and above 80% is doing good.

I think one of the fun things about slop fishing is keeping track of your blow ups to fish in the boat. Keeping in mind that a fish that shows it's self and is gotten on a subsequent cast counts for 1 blow up and 1 catch.

[This message has been edited by Basspastor (edited 01-09-2004).]

Yea, now were talking some bass! I have only used the green and brown scum frogs. I don't think the color matters as much as the action does. Pretty funny, my girlfriend was just talking about top water bass fishing today. I guess I am not the only one with the itch to get on the soft water.

Now we're talking a subject which is getting more fired up for the open water season to arrive. After experimenting with most frogs currently on the market I've come to use and prefer the Scumfrog 90% of the time. However the denser body of the Snag Proof T-frog can be benefical in areas having stalky/dead stems. I just seem to have more blow-ups and a much better hooking percentage with the Scumfrog. I like to add weight for casting distance by sliding the body off and wrapping solder around the shank of the hook. It stays in one place and does not detract from the body being able to collapse. Most of the time I fish white or black, although I probably have a dozen or more diferent colors... Oh yeah, if the cover allows try Scumfrogs Thundertoad (the one with the buzzer out ahead of the frog) talk about viscious strikes!!!

I have a couple but hardly ever fish the slop. I would really like to use these more, but of course that takes time, which I don't have much of. Anyway, I have a Strike King Pop 'n Grass Frog and it is ok, but have found it difficult to hook fish consistently so I shy away from it. I have a scum frog but have yet to use it. Judging from the responses on this topic, it will be broken out this year.
Then I have a Mister Twister Top Prop. This lure can generate a lot of strikes, but the hooking percentage is low. It's a fun bait, but I get real frustrated at times.

Coach Dog

------------------
GIT-R-Done!