• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bass

8-fishtoday

Plenty of other fish in the sea for me to pick from that actually taste good without having to doctor them up in the pan.
As I have posted many times on FM, we will never get everyone to C/R our precious bass.

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 01-05-2004).]

OK GUY;S THE IDEA HERE IS NOT TO GET OFF TO A BAD START. BUTT HERE ARE YOUR QUOTES IT SURE TICKED ME OFF--- MAN THAT SUCKS---A TRUE BASS FISHERMAN--- NOW AS I SAID CR IS FINE. YOU CAN NOT COMPLAIN IF SOMEONE WANT;S TO EAT A FISH ONCE IN A WHILE. WHAT MAKES A BASS THE PERFECT CR FISH OVER ANY OTHER. PS STILL LEARNING TO TYPE.

First of all everything is good for catch and release. Any walleye over 3lbs or so should go back, any northern over 3-4 lbs should go back. Now with bass, why even eat a 2 or 3lb fish when every other fish tastes so much beter. Or maybe you cant catch the others?

As noted above, selective harvest isn't limited in most peoples minds to bass. Selective harvest is keep a couple smaller fish to eat and let the big ones go. Many guys follow the same guidelines for all species that they intend to keep.

Part of the reason I think bass are stereo-typed as pure C&R in this part of the country is that we are living in the land of so many different fish species and fishing opportunities that bass just isn't on the menu. If I want fish to eat, I'll go out and catch something that I prefer to eat (crappie, bluegill, perch or walleye). I really feel that is a big reason why keeping bass in the south is much more popular. They don't have the multi-species fishing opportunities that we have here.

I also think that bass fisherpeople in general are VERY good about "Catch and Release". Most are in it for the fun, not the food.

I don't personally think it is right to look down on people for catching and keeping fish to eat. As long as they are within the limits set by the DNR, that is their right. For those that have an issue with people keeping fish, maybe put your effort towards informing others about the benefits of Catch and Release and Selective Harvest (it isn't so obvious to everyone). Also, contact the DNR if you would like to see different limits in place. You can't blame people for going out and buying a license and following the rules (i.e. keeping their limit of bass).

I HOPE TO TRY TO MAKE SOME POINTS TODAY. THE FIRST REPLY BY LUNKER,NOT OFF TO A GREAT START. BUTT HE DID NOT JUMP OFF THE DEEP END. FRIENDLY FISHER, I WILL AGREE,THE LARGE FISH HAVE MORE RESONS TO RETURN. DAN WOOD OPEN MIND,THIS IS A GOOD THING. I FISH ABOUT FORTY DAY,S A YEAR. EAT MAYBE 6 MEALS A YEAR. LOT,s OF CR GOING ON. PLEASE DON,T JUMP ME IF I EAT A FEW. MAKE FISHING FUN.

8, I have no problem with it either. Just to tell us to lighten up becasue we express our beliefs and that fish are food(yes they are, but they are more than that i think)was just a little standoffish.

THIS WHOLE THING GOT STARTED WHEN I READ THE SELECTIVE HARVEST POST. WE ALL CAN NOT JUMP TO DEEP OR GET TICKED OFF AND MAYBE I DID THE SAME. IF THE BENIFITS OF CR ARE EXPAINED TO PEOPLE YOU WILL GET MORE TAKERS,THEY WILL NOT HERE YOU IF YOU GO NUTS. JUST FOR NUTS, MY 6 MEALS ARE SPLIT BETWEEN CROPS, SUN,S PIKE,AND OTHERS. YOUR BASS ARE RETURNED IN THE UPPER 90% THIS IS CR FOR ME I WILL EAT ONE LEAGLY. HAVE FUN FISHING TODAY.

Well, I guess I just see it differently, meaning that a 4.5# bass has got to taste like ??, I look at the whole thing as the bigger fish being there to replenish the lake, not being a meal here or there!!! I would think if you were gonna eat one, you think a 1.5# or there abouts would taste better. "I wonder what a 40# muskie or a 30# northern tastes like"?

------------------
Good Luck To All, Wormburner!
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit!

HELLO GUIDO HELP ME OUT HERE,NOT SURE WHAT YOU GOT OR WHY YOUR HEAD ITCHES. THERE IS TWO ENDS THIS. YOU CAN READ THE REGS AND TAKE THE FULL LIMIT OF EACH FISH TYPE OR THERE IS VOLUNTARY 100% CR. WHAT EVER END YOUR ON IS YOURS TO PICK. I WILL EAT A FEW AND NOT COMPLAIN IF YOU KEEP MORE OR LESS. WHICH END IS RIGHT FOR YOU? GOOD FISHING TO ALL.

Memo to 8fishtoday-

If you go on a bass thread exclaiming your love to eat bass, you will receive flack!

Toot your horn on a site that promotes eating fish, as oppose to this one which promotes C&R.

Or change your name 8fishoccasionally!

------------------
1...2...bam got him

MEMO TO GUIDO I HAVE LEARNED HERE, I CAN NOT PLEASE ALL OF YOU. MOST PEOPLE AT LEAST LOOKED AT BOTH SIDES. SOME OPEN MINDED PEOPLE WERE A LITTLE FLEXIBLE. SOME MISSED THE BOAT. GO AHEAD HAVE FUN FISHING AND GET RID OF WHATEVER YOU GOT. P.S. IF I CHANGE MY NAME TO 8-FISH-ONCE-IN-MY-LIFE. WOULD YOU HAVE FUN FISHING. MOTORING ON NOW.

8-Fish,
I respect your opinion and all and if you want to eat a bass or two that's fine, nothing illegal about it. Probably 95% of us (or more) on this site who are regular bass guys choose to practice catch and release. But the fact that you come on here and immediately state that you eat bass and are proud of it is not going make you many friends. It's like you are antogonizing us that you like to eat bass. [PoorWordUsage]? All your posts so far just have a negative vibe to them. I guess you're just one of guys who enjoys annoying people.