• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bad Concrete Pour

jjohnson5150

We recently had a concrete driveway put in. All went well with that. However, when it came time to do the sidewalk & steps in the colored / stamped design, it went bad. We were told the concrete set up too fast. After raising concern the day of pour, we were told it would be fixed. Once the forms came off, they even mixed up some adhesive to fix a void on the side of the steps that went 12-24". The powder was washed off over the weekend and now it's looking really bad. I asked for a face to face meeting to discuss issues and request replacement. The contractor is saying it can be repaired. I'm not convinced since there are spots already crumbling. Common sense tells me it needs to be redone. However, I'm far from an expert on concrete. I've had a half dozen people come over to look at it. Everyone besides the contractor agrees it's terrible. I don't see it lasting one winter the way it is. Does anyone have any experience with concrete adhesive or repairing voids, cracks, etc after it's dried? I'm hoping to gather some good info for the face to face meeting I have with the contractor. This is a lot of money so I want it done right. I don't expect the meeting to be pleasant since we are going to be firm on our request. I'm working on adding some pictures.

I've done concrete work for 15 years and that does look terrible. Have you paid full price for it yet? You have the right to have it done properly. Patches and fillers do work if installed properly but once concrete dries too fast it will crumble and It'll just cause problems later on. My suggestion is for the contractor to replace it do not let him try to fix it first.

We've paid 90%. 30% was at tear out. 60% at pour. It has to come out. I'm just not looking forward to the conversation. I have horrible luck with contractors. I thought I did my homework on this one. Hopefully he comes through and puts new concrete in.

I'm no concrete expert, but I've never seen a repair that looks as good as a job done right in the first place. I've worked with contractors and they are totally resistant to redos because most can't afford the $$ loss. Be open minded, but be ready for a fight. Spend some time documenting your conversations and good photos. If you have some hold back money don't pay him, but be careful about spending it on another contractor because some of these guys can and will file all sorts of liens and conciliation court actions. Depending on the dollars involved you might just want to cut your losses and move on with another contractor.

Did you paid for a concrete job that looks like it's been repaired for ten years or one that looks like it was done properly? You need to stand your ground. It needs to be tore out and done properly. Any good contractor would do this.

Seems to me that you don't have a lot of leverage in this one. I agree that it looks bad and will most likely will get worse. But in my line of work it always paid to figure out who had the power in a negotiation. I suspect that the redo very likely is a lot more expensive than the 10% that you have held back. So the contractor likely is ahead financially if he walks. Your alternative is some sort of complaint process (not likely successful and I was a mediator on these for 3 years). So pretty much you are relying on the guy's good will or professionalism. I suggest going fairly softly. A good line IMO is 'what is it going to take for us to work this out?'

I was a cement finisher for thirty years, I would not accept that job. Yeah you can patch it but I will look like a patch job too. It is impossible to get the colors to match. Color can change from load to load from the same company, and that is with regular concrete let alone colored.

I would call the local Building Inspector to see if he would come out and give you an opinion. Call the concrete company and have them come out and look at it too. This must be a new way of doing business. We never got money up front, always billed after the job was done. Don't give him any more money. I was so glad to get out of the concrete biz. Now days there are more chemicals in it than cement. It will set too fast more often than not. Good Luck!

Rockin Randy

Being in a manager position myself, I will tell you, you will get much further speaking calmly, but firmly. Tell him you paid for a job well done, that will look good, it is his responsibility to perform what you paid for. Tell him if he chooses to do a repair, and it isnt up to your satisfaction, will he then replace them and do the job correctly? If yes,get it in writing, and let him try to repair it. But warn him that you have taken many pictures, and if it isnt up to your satisfaction, you will take him to court, and make him refund the entire amount. Speak firmly, and confidently. Take a lot of pictures, maybe even get another contractors opinion in writing on what should be done to make the job right with you.

well here goes my 2cents ,you have colored concrete which is a applied shake on powderd product which sucks the moisture out of the concrete ,its a dry spot all they do is mix up some color and paint it on the bad spots let dry and it will match tha existing,then they will apply a sealer over everything and you will be amazed at the differant look you will see,the pictures you took are in no way the finished product,im sorry the 30 year experts failed to see this,give the man a chance to make it right,also as concrete cures [which takes 28 days]it will lighten in color,you should not be concerned with this as youres is colored.my experiance with stencils ,stamps and colored concrete leads me say in no way is this the finished product you sure just dont dump it out and its finshed. oh yeah, concrete contractor since 1976 !

well here goes my 2cents ,you have colored concrete which is a applied shake on powderd product which sucks the moisture out of the concrete ,its a dry spot all they do is mix up some color and paint it on the bad spots let dry and it will match tha existing,then they will apply a sealer over everything and you will be amazed at the differant look you will see,the pictures you took are in no way the finished product,im sorry the 30 year experts failed to see this,give the man a chance to make it right,also as concrete cures [which takes 28 days]it will lighten in color,you should not be concerned with this as youres is colored.my experiance with stencils ,stamps and colored concrete leads me say in no way is this the finished product you sure just dont dump it out and its finshed. oh yeah, concrete contractor since 1976 !

Would you find this acceptable for your own home? With the core of the concrete compromised, how will the rest of it last? Maybe I'm missing something. If we wanted glue and patch over concrete, we would have restored the old concrete. it was patched today and looks like......patched concrete!

So.... in 28 days will these cracks disappear?

full-8814-46696-027_2.jpg

In my experience with concrete, surface cracks will begin flaking off fairly quick after that first freeze/thaw.

He paid for a NEW stair and sidewalk, not one with its lifespan compromised the day it was poured.

It's just an overall terrible job. You found one of a dozen flaws with it. I'm sick to my stomach over this deal. If anyone wants to know who to avoid send me a PM.

If your making a list of things for your meeting I would put a level on that bottom step and see if it's as level as the others?

I bet the step is level but the area around it isn't and that is what you would want is a slope away from your house so water wouldn't pool around the house...I see the need for concern but I would bring that up with the contractor and get some things in writing on what they will waranty. They do need to do the patching and the sealing and that will change the final product but from my understanding with alot of friends in the concrete biz that is typical. You chose the contractor based off his final product and reviews so give the guy a chance to finish his job but raise your concerns with him and get his waranty in writing. Good Luck

I'm sorry, but if I had a pour like that, it woulda been knocked outta there before you had time to post it. That's the worst mess I've ever seen, and I've been doing my own pours for many years. Get that replaced or take him to small claims court with pics and documented data from a reputable company for evidence. That's just a disaster with more future probs in the making. Good luck; it really sucks to see something like that happen to a person.

It went bad. He ignored my request to meet in person and showed up to finish the patch job & seal while I was at work. My wife told them to stop, but they continued. I called him to discuss. I went in calm, but firm on my request to tear it out. He refused, got irrational and threatened to lien our property, before hanging up on me. I have not talked to him since. My wife tried calling since I thought I was having a heart attack. No return phone call, but an invoice showed up via email stating we owe another $1200. We've paid $8100.

The repair job is....a repair job. My concern all along is the integrity of the concrete pour. It's a solid step, but I know it's held together with sealer and glue. Until he ended our phone conversation, he continued to use the term "it's structurally sound" over & over again, so I'm sure that's what he's banking on when it comes time for me to initiate my consumer rights.

Here's the other twist. This was a referral from two of our best friends who feel absolutely sick about this. She works for the clown. Court is likely on this matter and I believe we have enough documentation to get a full refund. The BBB, state attorney general, dept of labor, Angies list are all on the table as well. I've got it all ready to go.

This has been a stressful project to say the least. It's kept me up for the past 4 nights. I'm tired as heck, but can't shake this one.