• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

B.A.S.S - Bassmaster

Granny

I received some info on B.A.S.S. today, does anyone have any input on this magazine or membership? Looks like an ok thing but thats what advertisements are for.
Thanks for any help,
Granny

I think it's the best magazine out there because it's strictly about Bass. I don't have worry about it being filled up with articles about Hunting or catching Tarpon in the Florida Keys. Nothing against those, but I like Bass Fishing with artificial lures, nothing else.
As far as being in the club itself, I really don't have an opinion one way or the other. If you like tournament fishing and want to get in a local federation, they cover all of that stuff.
I recently ran across a Fishing illustrated magazine that Bill Dance does. I really liked that magazine. Really good information.

[This message has been edited by HawgTide (edited 10-14-2003).]

What areas of the U.S. does the bass info usually cover? If I sign up to be a member, the magazine is a $1 per month plus they send me some free stuff. Sounds pretty good!
Granny

Dan,
This site has done more for me than any magazine or video could do. This is my first year of really targeting LM bass. The reason I ask which area it is in is because in Minnesota, at least where I fish, the structure is much different than what they fish in Florida, Georgia, or any where else in the south. I don't know of any lakes that have submerged brush or lots of trees in the water. Lilly pads, reeds, and breaks are about all the structure I have to fish. I am still going to join but I was just wondering what to expect.
Thanks, Granny

Hey Granny,
I realize the structure is different and a lot of bass info. is not applicable to this area. Unfortunately the popularity of the sport and thus major coverage is going to be in the south and west. They do still go over a lot of general techniques that are applicable everywhere - drop-shotting, finesse techniques, jigs, buzzbait and spinnerbait techniques, etc. I think you will easily pick up enough information for this area to find it useful - I know I do. I fish this area exclusively for bass and find the information useful. A lot of the most popular techniques for MN have originated from California, the south, and even Japan. I think it gives you a step up on other anglers. It usually takes a little while for new techniques to become popular in this area.

You will have information that is useless - springtime fishing in the south, etc., but I think it is still interesting to read how they fish in other parts of the country - while looking out at the snow banks, wishing you were fishing...

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 10-14-2003).]

I think Bassmaster is still the best thing going for bass fishing information. I'll be a member for life.

All bass information is geared a little more towards the south and west unfortunately - due to size of fish and popularity of bass fishing in these regions (not just Bassmaster)... But you will still pick up some valuable information on tips and techniques that work nationwide. You can also follow along the Bassmaster trail results and techniques.

There is a section in each magazine where a pro fishes an unknown lake for a day and they go through in detail his techniques and search strategy on the lake he has never fished. They give the total weight for his basket of 5 biggest fish and it is pretty amazing to see how well they do on a new lake.

Thumbs up for B.A.S.S.

a federation , is a B.A.S.S. club for the ameture (?)anglers. they complete in local club tournaments ; state tournaments, regional tournaments; and the regional winners get to compete in the bassmaster classic. plus these local clubs get involved in casting for kids, take a kid fishing days. clean up projects. plus compete locally. i am not sure if the minn. bass fishing club that i read about . and saw on tv are in this or seperate. if you are a BASS member then you join a local club and subscribe to the bass times. another bass paper that is full of tips and info on federation tournaments. hope this helps. i am sure there is much more than what i mentioned. check into! del

I got it and liked it. I found some useful information in it. But it only covered bass, and even though I mostly fish bass I decided to try out a new magazine (in fisherman) so I could learn some techniques for other species, and also get some icefishing information.

P.S. They never sent me my stuff for signing up a new member mad.gif