• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

r-bend vs closed loop spinners

bucketmouth64

What is your preference for spinner design? Does one offer better presentation than the other? I don't like my swivel going up and down the wire shaft. I like the closed loop but most of my spinners have the r-bend. It must be cheaper to produce r-bends since most spinners come this way.

Bucketmouth- Please dont take this wrong. There really is no good reason for attaching a clip or swivel to a spinnerbait.

With crankbaits, it improves the action of the crankbait because it give the bait more area to move more freely. However, A spinnerbait does not get anything from being attached to a snap or swivel.

With that being said, there are 2 kinds of spinners made, safty pin or loop eye spinners and "R" bend. The reason "R" bend spinners were made is this. During a cast a spinnerbait has a tendancy to tumble during the cast. Druing this the line on a safety pin style spinner can become twisted around the line tie and then pinched in the area that the wire is twisted. Thus causing the line to be dammaged and then possible breakage on a fish. The R bend has no where for the line to get caught so if the bait tumbles during the cast the line will straghten itself out once you start your retrieve.

Hope that helps.

ALL that being said, I prefer the R bend spinners! and I tie drectly to the bait, no snap or swivel

I will sometimes use a swivel with inline spinners like mepps!

I tie all my buzzbaits and spinnerbaits directly as well. I can see the advantage of a snap for changing baits a little more quickly, but I don't mind retying once in awhile. I change skirts on my baits more than anything else - tha is an easy way to change color of either a buzzbait or spinnerbait without retying.

I tie direct as well. I use a bass snap for my cranks. I also took off all the o-rings on the bill of the crank. Not that we're talking about this, but just thought I'd add that in here.

Bass have been slow for me this past week. But I'm not giving up just yet.

I don't personally see a real need for titanium in a spinnerbait either. I think that is a buzz word created for marketing mainly. They do have some nice looking baits though in that titanium series.

If your looking at high dollar spinnerbaits, I'd check out the Leverage spinnerbaits. They use a flexible wire to prevent fish from getting "leverage" on the bait and twisting off.

fad6708c.jpg

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 10-13-2003).]

Hey Dan,
I saw a Citgo Bassmaster show and some pro was using the Leverage. I thought that was a cool idea about being flexible.

So do you know where they sell these? Galyans and Gander in the cites are getting pretty bare, and I haven't seen them there. Maybe next spring eh.

Thanks for the responses. I also think that the titaniums are way too expensive. I found some at Gander that were promos for about $2.97. I think I'll stick with the lesser expensive spinners. Speaking of Gander, did any of you go to the grand opening in Forest Lake? What a great store. Spent several hours there Saturday listening to speakers and buying stuff.

I can never seem to find exactly what I'm looking for at the local stores. I buy all that I can mail order. BassPro or Cabelas should both have these. Cabelas has a pretty good selection at the store during prime open water season, but this time of year you'll probably have to order.

I really like the titanium baits, Terminator in particular. You can really feel the vibration on those baits better than any other spinnerbaits. But...is it worth it or is it effective? I'm not sure on that one. Dan is right, they have some awesome patterns and really have a natural look to them. The skirts are durable and life-like and I love the blades they put on them. Real shiny.
But this year I lost a couple of these lures, and one actually broke on me. No kidding. I had about a 5-6# northern on one, it jumped violently in the air and snapped the wire right off! After losing a few of these, I might go back to the wire or I might stay w/ the Terminator. To be honest though, my spinnerbaits outfished my entire tackle selection this year by themselves, so maybe I'll stick to the titanium.

Coach Dog

I fish a lake up north every year for bass, but it also has quite a few big northerns in it. It's bad enough to lose a bait to a snake, but to get cut by a big gator s***s. So on this lake I'll wire up. I had the same problem with the R-bend and leaders. Here's a tip I picked up from a guy at Gander.
Take a small spit ring, pinch the 2 wires of the spinnerbait togeather and slip it over, not through the connection, so it's like a collar. Once the snap from the leader is connected, (to the spinner, not the spitring) the splitring has nowhere to go. When you go back to tying direct, just slip the splitring off.
I've been to Gander -- Forest Lake a few times since they opened, they have some nice spinners (Ghost brand, or something, on a table in the aisle). They're 1.97 with a ballbearing swivel. I think the ballbearing is most important to get the blade twirling at the slightest movement.

rascal