• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tonka Report

Dan Wood

Fishing was a bit tougher than I had anticipated, but we did manage some decent fish. Surface water temps ranged from 52-55 deg., and the bass have slowed with these cool temps. The weeds are continuing to die off in the shallows, yet still plenty thick and still holding fish.. Most fish we got were in the 3-5' depths in weed pockets. Carp are pretty thick in the shallows and I think that is pushing some of the bass out of the shallow water along with the weed die-off and falling temps. We didn't have much luck deeper, but I'm sure they are there, just more difficult to pattern.

Biggest fish was 19" on a 4.5" Magic Stik (pumpkin). This is a senko type soft stickbait that is becoming one of my favorites (much more durable than a senko with very similar action). This fish came under a dock in 4' of water (pretty deep under the dock). The Magic Stick proved to be the best, but we did get some decent fish on white spinnerbaits as well. Running the spinnerbaits with a Salty Spider in place of the skirt and slow rolling the weed edges and pockets. The salty spider gives them a more natural bait to hold onto when fishing the spinnerbait slow. It also has a different action to what they are used to seeing in a spinnerbait. Tried buzzers for a bit and only pike, the bass were prety lethargic and didn't seem to be willing to move that much for food.

Not many people on the lake, other than a few fishermen and some people pulling their yachts in for the year. It is a nice time to be on the water. The pike/musky/walleye should be more cooperative with these temps.

Salty Spider
http://www.madtoms.com/casessps.htm

Magic Stiks
http://www.madtoms.com/ms.htm

Go Vikes and Twins!

------------------
Catch-N Tackle Pro Staff
T.J.'s Tackle Pro Staff

[email protected]
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
- Henry David Thoreau

Dang, I only caught one 18" bass and that was that on a super fluke. My buddy Bill got skunked. We worked the deep weed edges. We found some great looking coontail, but no active fish.