• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Minnetonka

Magic Stick

I have heard that Lake Minnetonka is one the the best bass lakes in the country. I have never fished this lake before and I was planning on making a trip up there at the end of the week. I would greatly appreciate any tips on where the bass can be found and what technique is used to catch these big bucket mouths on this lake.

Thaks a bunch!!

If you've never been there before this lake has Eurasion milfoil in it. I've fished it quite a few times and you can't go wrong fishing the milfoil beds and boat docks. I usually fish it during the week though cuz the boat traffic can get insane on weekends unless you can find some out of the way area in a bay somewhere. Good luck

Magic Stick,
I've actually had very good luck recently on Tonka. So far the best baits have been a pig-n-jig black w/ rattles, Poppers early morning, and most of all 7" power worm w/rattles texas rig. I like to fish just outside the weed line in 6'-10' of water. I also fish the big bays early when boat traffic is low and the smaller No-wakes later the day.

Good luck tell us how ya do

I've been fishing more on the west side, and sorry but that's all I can say, without getting beat up by the buddies. But early mornings I like to throw top water because of the action. Then I head to the docks and weedline for some texas rigging or pig&jigging. But I place the boat out deeper, like 6'-10' of water and cast into about 3' of water. Remember to jig all the way back to the boat, I pick up alot of fish next to the boat.

Good luck

I am reporting on how I did on Lake Minneetonka for my first time up there. I was out there in Friday and the lake was like glass. I landed my boat around 11 in the morning and fished until dark. I started fishing deep weedlines in about 10 to 16 feet deep. We were throwing jigs and we could not get a bass at all. The northerns seemed to be hot and heavy that day. I was not sure what i was doing wrong. I then started to fish docks and i did fairly well on every dock i fished. I did manage to get an 20 1/2 inch smalmouth on one dock. I am still confused where and how to fish the deeper weedlines on this lake and how too keep the northerns off. Any tips would be great.

Remember C&R

WOW - that's a beast of a smallie. Glad to hear they are getting that size now. What bay was that in? Browns, or Wayzata?

Did you try the good ol plastic worm texas rigged on the outside weedlines? Spinner baits are starting to kick into gear again.

Well, now you'll just have to go back. This time go somewhere else on Tonka.

I managed a little over a 21" largemouth on Medicine.

That is a tanker of a smallie.. I would have thought those big smallies would all be in deeper water by now...

------------------
Catch-N Tackle Pro Staff

fb1467c2.jpg

[email protected]
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
- Henry David Thoreau

[This message has been edited by fishnAddict (edited 09-15-2003).]

Magic Stick,

It just makes me cringe to say "Magic Stick". Sorry I had to get that out of my system. lol

On a serious note, try shallow this time of year. Those bass that were out on the deep weed edge have now moved up inside. You'll notice big schools of minnows in roughly 1-4' of water, often jumping about. You can almost guarantee there is bass or northerns feeding on them. Try surface baits morning or night. Spinnerbaits w/big silver willow blades or shallow cranks during mid-day. Rock/sand/gravel shorelines will outproduce mucky/weedy shorelines. Don't be afraid to work your presentation fast as they are real aggressive now. Good luck.

------------------
Tonka Boy

Tonka has some of the best deep water jigging habitat that I have had the pleasure to fish. The milfoil grows so thick that at this time of year when it starts to die off, the CO2 content in the weeds drives the fish out to the edge and in huge numbers. Look for patches of weeds that go out to about 10ft. Thick milfoil on the inside with about two to three feet of sparse coontail outside of that. The bass will be concentrated in that coon tail right now. That runs from about 10-14ft deep. I like a slider type jig head with a seven inch power worm and eight pound mono. Go right down the edge either pitching along the edge or dragging beneath the boat.

Good Luck.