• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ARRGHHH! Jigs be darned....

RandyFish

...I cannot catch a bass on a jig, pig/jig, jig/pastic trailer (usually a craw or back half of a brush hog)to save my soul.

I wanted to focus on learning this very common technique, so I could expand my deep-water, outside edge arsenal for mid-summer.

I am using standard colors: white, purple, black, blue. With weights between 1/4 to 3/8 ounce depending on how thick the foil is. I am making short casts, letting it fall to the bottom, using a 9 to 11 gentle jig motion. I catch notherns, even an occasional lost walleye, but no bass.

I don't think I am missing bites, since I can do well with a carolina rig, and they have can be spooky for feeling a bite.

I laugh when I hear people recommending jigs for docks? If I can't catch them in deep water, why would I use them in shallow when tubes, brush hawgs and flukes work so well?

Any advice, or should I just stick with heavy texas rigged worms and hawgs for edge work?

I may be just jig disabled.

RandyFish

I know the feeling. I've caught some smallies on jigs while drifting down the river, but I've never been able to catch a bass on Jig/Pig combo. I usually give up after a short while. I think confidence in the lure plays a big role and I just don't have confidence in that lure.

Geez, Josh, I could have helped you out last weekend! I love jig-n-pigs! How do you think we caught the 2 largest bass in our bag? Jig-n-pig on docks and lifts!

I can't explain, I'd have to show you....

Take smallie's advice...use heavier jigs and don't give up. You'll soon be hooking up with some fast action. If I were limited to 1 single lure in my bass box, it would be a 3/4 oz jig/pig combo.
FLB

What I have done when I have located fish is to cast out and let it sink to the bottom and let it sit a few seconds. Lift up and let it sink and sit, this is a really slow process. I heard on a show that if you think you are going slow go slower. I have picked up some really nice bass this way. Takes a lot of patience. Best luck has come along slopes, start at the top and work it down. Usually hit on the drop so you need to be attentive.Black/blue combo has been best for me. I too need more experience with this. I don't flip at docks because I use tubes. My flipping technique is not good.

Do what loon says, but after the jig hit the bottom I snap jig and pound the bottom with the jig. Really quick, SHORT, up and down motions, then go slow up and down if that didn't trigger a bite. Works for me.

This is the time of year (September) I hit the weeded drop offs.

Light jigs work good for getting far under boat lifts/docks. Heavy jigs for getting down 15 feet into the slop. Just like Smallie says.

RandyFish,
I once felt exactly the same way you described about fishing jigs and as you can see from all of the responses there is no one way to fish a jig. One thing I can tell you is confidence is by far the most important aspect.

Weight and style do matter, but I usually end up fishing a 3/8 - 1/2 oz. in most situations during the summer and fall. You can always somewhat adjust how the jig moves through the water with the type of trailer you use.

I would suggest going to your favorite lake or your #1 hotspot, but instead of throwing a texas rig for instance use a jig. Basically give yourself the best possible chance to catch bass. Try all of the techniques described on this thread until you find one that works for you. In my opinion it is definitely a rythm thing that you have time find each time your on the lake.

My favorite colors are browns, and black combinations.

As far as jigs for docks, I always make sure I toss the jig under each dock. It may not catch the most fish, but often times it is the biggest or it is the fish that wouldn't hit any of the other lures.

I hope all of this is of some help.
Good Luck!

Just like anything, confidence is the key. I have better luck with a lighter jig - I use the bitsy jigs in 1/16 and 1/8 oz. most of the time with a plastic trailer. A large trailer on this combo gives you a real slow fall for shallow water. When I go deeper, I generally will downsize on the trailer to get a faster drop.

Dock fishing I use plastics mainly. I'll use the jig in and around weeds and/or wood.

My favorite is a 1/4 oz slidder jig made by owner. I use this with eight pound mono and a seven inch power worm. Work the deep weed edge with a mild snap action. the bass usually hit it on the drop. So when you go to jig it again they are there.

Think like a crawfish ... they move slow then dart. if you have never seen one, go find one in a stream and chase it around or something. Try to immitate that motion! When on a weed, give it slack, and jerk it off... thats when I get most my hits.