• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

best minnows for bass in a pond?

wormburner

Just wondering what would be the best minnow selection to get from the bait shop to dump in my pond for the bass to eat?
What's the best choice, crappie,chubs,shinners or? Any info helpful, thanks!
There are only about 3 in there but I thought if I got 3 dozen, that should keep them for a week or two?

3 Dozen isn't going to last a week or two.

Years ago we had a 8 inch bass in an aquarium. He was eating a dozen goldfish every other day. When he hit 10 inches, the cost was killing us, so he was released.

Jo

Wormburner,
How is the pond holding up? If I were you, I would get a minnow trap or two and put them in a litte creek near you. Catch all the minnows you want. Its much cheaper that way. Let me know if you want to go out and get some more bass to add to your collection. Granny

I had a bass in an aquairium as a kid as well. He was spoiled and would only eat crappie minnows and wouldn't touch a nightcrawler, leach, or grasshopper. His record was 22 crappie minnows as a fast as I could drop them in. Heads and tails sticking out all over. Air pump went out one night and he finally died at 14.75"

I would agree. It will be much cheaper if you can trap your own minnows!

Yea, 3 dozen minnows for 3 bass, may not last a day. I've had them in aquariums as well and one little itty bitty of a bass can take down about 8 crappie minnows in one feeding (they are sticking every which way out of their mouth).. They are truely pigs...

I've had them in a pond as well as a kid and never had to feed them much. They seemed to get enough food from frogs and bugs and whatever else they found. I would toss frogs in every once in awhile. That is a lot of fun to watch...

I have 7 bass and 4 walleyes in my pond, and I have not dumped minnows in there for 3 or 4 weeks. In fact I have probably only dumped bait in there for them maybe 4 or 5 times since ice out.
Me and the boy, went out there last week, and caught 4 of the bass, and they all look very healthy. Now its been a while since I have caught an 'eye in the pond, but maybe they are just in the dog days of summer pattern. wink.gif
Between grasshoppers, frogs, bugs, and who knows what else, they seem to be doing great.

Now if it would just rain! Its down over a foot now. I am starting to worry about my fish.

The pond we have at home is pretty good sized with a depth of about 15 ft. and with all the minnows I dumped in left over from ice fishing this past winter and their offspring ,there must be a thousand pinheads and a little bigger swimming the edges, and water bugs and so on, we'll see what happens, oh yeah, did I mention all the bluegills and sunnies? The worst thing, this morning as I was having coffee I looked out the sunroom window and there was a crane standing in the water, bye bye bass, I sure hope not!
Thanks guys for the input!!!!!!!!!!!

You could always call Dr. Remington to come and take care of that crane for ya. Went and scouted a couple new honey holes last night. Stopped in at a tin shed pub and got some inside info on a couple lakes. I will send you an email later. Granny