• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LMs back in off the edges?

RandyFish

Hello All,

Seasonal opinion time, bass fishermen.

Are the bass back in the shallows now, or are they still hanging off the milfoil walls(or just inside of them).

Now no, "it depends" answers. If you were gonna start fishing an after supper or morning period, where would you start?

Outside weed edges using jigs, crank baits, deep spinners or parrallel carolina rigs?

or

shallow water and docks. Pitching tubes, senkos, light texas rigs?

What say the thundering herd?

RandyFish

When I start this time of year I go straight for shallow. I skip tubes and worms under docks while throwing buzz & spinner baits in between. If that isn't producing I change it up and check deep (but the dock fishing rarely doesn't produce).

What I generally find is that there always are bass in the shallow however at this time of the year they tend to run a bit smaller than the ones you catch in the deeper water.

Find some rock that goes into somewhat deep water. (4-6) Last night on Tonka that was the ticket. Tossing cranks seemed to trigger them fish. I caught around 10 or so (lost count) but most of the fish did run on the small side. A couple of 16" were the biggest. Still a fun time to be on the water.

Thanks Tonka Boy

The only answer that fits is "It depends"

What lake,clarity,weed cover and daily weather changes? The truth is that there are bass from 6inches of water to out pass the deep weedline. Even that varies from 3ft to 20 ft. depending on the lake. If I was going up to Leech lake I sure the heck would not fish the deep weedline.

I catch most of my 4lb. plus fish up shallow less than 3ft.back in the dump that most people are too lazy to get into or don't have heavy enough equipment to work.50lb Spiderwire pitching jig/pig combos is lethal.It never seizes to amaze me how little water it takes to hold huge fish.Undercut banks are super this time of year as well as hard botttomed reeds,target the denser clumps where theres plenty of shade.For numbers of fish I look for a descent cabbage weedline and throw plastic worms,it's alot more relaxing type of fishing provided you can get over losing a fair amount of tackle to toothy critters and the relentless tap tap of panfish.